Valued Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Snowhite714 wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I am wondering what you think about short hemlines with respect to age. Do you think a woman over a certain age should mind her hemline with skirts and dresses, or is it anything goes as long as it looks good and fits well?

Reason I ask: today I was trying on dresses and skirts which haven’t fit in a few years due to weight gain, and after some weight loss they all fit again. I was a little surprised how short some of these were and I was only wearing them about 3 years ago. I was like, whoa mama that’s short!  I don’t know what’s appropriate anymore. I’m 47 and really feeling my age lately.  

@Grouchomarx Yes a woman over a certain age should mind her hemline with skirts and dresses; just because it fits doesn't mean it's age appropriate.  But I guess if you feel comfortable in it you shouldn't care what others think.  Not sure that this helps any.

And, what exactly does 47 feel like since you are really feeling your age?

Well today I stopped at my local wine shop to pick up a bottle of white, just to have around. The clerk there I am very familiar with, and he is very good looking. He wished me a happy mother’s day. I do not have children (by choice), and have never indicated either way to him. I realized i look like a woman of a certain age who looks like I should be a soccer mom. I guess I feel younger than I look. And it made me a bit depressed I’m not disguising my general age no matter what I try to do. So there. I said it. Yikes I feel so old today. I still feel 30 something but 50 is coming on fast. So scary. 

@Grouchomarx  I think you are making way too much of the clerk wishing you Happy Mother's Day.  He wasn't thinking anything other than being polite and wishing you a Happy Mother's Day.  There is nothng to be scared of, age really is just a number until the arthritis sets in then you know you're old. Ha! I'm just kidding.  Just enjoy each day and forget about your age.  You'll be 50 soon enough. 

Honored Contributor

@StylishLady   I've told you this before.  You are fabulous Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I subscribe to the idea that once I hit 40, skirts needed to be knee length or longer.  My Ma told me this when I was in my 20's.  She said unless you have legs like Cyd Charisse, watch the knees when you hit 40, lol.

Image result for cyd charisse

Just my personal preference.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I believe it depends on how the legs look along with length being in good taste. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Saying knees don't age well or knees are wrinkled, etc is kind of ridiculous.  Most parts of the body don't age well so should we all wear clothing that completely covers our body and a bag over our heads?  I am 66 and my skin (all over) does not look like a younger woman's does but I use great products that moisturize and lessen the look of wrinkles and keep my body well toned and  I still get looks and compliments but it's more than likely because I am comfortable in my skin and like what I wear.  Sure I am not able to wear really short dresses and short shorts like I used to because despite all the workouts I do my butt just will always be lower now.  I have seen those younger than me being treated like an old person (much to their dismay) because of the way they feel they must dress after a certain age.  If that's their choice and they like what they are wearing that's fine but just wouldn't work for me.  Again, wear what you like and don't change your style just because of age.

Respected Contributor
I'm plus sized with very large legs so I prefer midi and maxi skirts. I do have some Quacker Factory skorts that hit me just at the knee but since those have shorts attached I don't have to worry about showing anything. I feel women should wear what they like and feel comfortable in as long as it's not breaking any actual laws. Some of it may not look good to our eyes, but it's not up to us to dictate what total strangers wear and I feel this gets lost on the boards because it seems the majority is in favor of conservative monochromatic dressing no matter what age or size someone is.
Super Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm 63 and I've worn skirts where the hem comes to about an inch below the tips of my fingers as I place my arms down on my sides. I wear them like that with opaque tights in the winter. In the summer my hems come to just above my knee with bare legs. Anything longer that goes over my knees, like a midi, is not flattering on me. 

Good for you. I had to laugh, back in the day the finger tips were always the gauge where the hemline should be. Now that I am 62 and with a knee replacement,  knee length is the norm for skirts and dresses. My shorts are now bermuda length and capris rule.

Respected Contributor

Re: Age and hemlines

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm 63 and I've worn skirts where the hem comes to about an inch below the tips of my fingers as I place my arms down on my sides. I wear them like that with opaque tights in the winter. In the summer my hems come to just above my knee with bare legs. Anything longer that goes over my knees, like a midi, is not flattering on me. 

@SilleeMee  @Grouchomarx  Great point on the opaque tights!  I have a couple hand-made dresses that a bit shorter.  Not TOO short, but too short for me at this point in my life.  They need to be worn with leggings or opaque tights.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

I think all females should dress modestly no matter what age they are.

@cactusgal, I don't see the reason for females' modesty all the time, and I'm sure that we all would not even agree on what is modest.

To me, this idea harkens back to restrictive rules for females or currently to some some regimes that punish women for their choice of dress.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

@Snowhite714 wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I am wondering what you think about short hemlines with respect to age. Do you think a woman over a certain age should mind her hemline with skirts and dresses, or is it anything goes as long as it looks good and fits well?

Reason I ask: today I was trying on dresses and skirts which haven’t fit in a few years due to weight gain, and after some weight loss they all fit again. I was a little surprised how short some of these were and I was only wearing them about 3 years ago. I was like, whoa mama that’s short!  I don’t know what’s appropriate anymore. I’m 47 and really feeling my age lately.  

@Grouchomarx Yes a woman over a certain age should mind her hemline with skirts and dresses; just because it fits doesn't mean it's age appropriate.  But I guess if you feel comfortable in it you shouldn't care what others think.  Not sure that this helps any.

And, what exactly does 47 feel like since you are really feeling your age?

Well today I stopped at my local wine shop to pick up a bottle of white, just to have around. The clerk there I am very familiar with, and he is very good looking. He wished me a happy mother’s day. I do not have children (by choice), and have never indicated either way to him. I realized i look like a woman of a certain age who looks like I should be a soccer mom. I guess I feel younger than I look. And it made me a bit depressed I’m not disguising my general age no matter what I try to do. So there. I said it. Yikes I feel so old today. I still feel 30 something but 50 is coming on fast. So scary. 

Oh boy@Grouchomarx similar happened to me a couple of years ago. Kid at the grocery store saw my last name on my card and asked if I was his friend's mom! OMG whaaattt??? Then I realized I could have a high school age child. My friends from high school have college age kids for heavens sake. I think not having kids must keep you in a weird mindset or something. I guess that's why I can still wear short skirts.Smiley LOL