Honored Contributor

If the hem line looks good on you and you feel comfortable wear it...but for me I have not worn anything above the knee in years....just not a good look on me and older skin does not look good and I would be very selfconscious in a short skirt/dress.

Honored Contributor

I think we just know, at least that has been true for me. With short and skirt lengths all of a sudden I didn’t feel comfortable. I think it is up to the individual, just follow what you feel is right and appropriate. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I am wondering what you think about short hemlines with respect to age. Do you think a woman over a certain age should mind her hemline with skirts and dresses, or is it anything goes as long as it looks good and fits well?

Reason I ask: today I was trying on dresses and skirts which haven’t fit in a few years due to weight gain, and after some weight loss they all fit again. I was a little surprised how short some of these were and I was only wearing them about 3 years ago. I was like, whoa mama that’s short!  I don’t know what’s appropriate anymore. I’m 47 and really feeling my age lately.  

Wear what makes you feel good!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

At 57, I don’t wear anything super short. Nor do I obsess about the skin on my legs or about my knees. I worry more about the garment and how the proportion looks on my petite frame. 

Honored Contributor

I am not a fan of short hemlines on any adult female, period.   

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

At least on me at 5' 4", I think a skirt below the knee make me look (and feel) dumpy

@Kachina624 If you don't have height, then deffinately go shorter.  I think most of the ladies know where they feel comfortable.  I'm sure you are a knockout in everything you wear my friend!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Age and hemlines

[ Edited ]

Can only speak for myself.  The shortest for me was at the top of the knee, but short and mini-skirts were the trend at that time and difficult to buy anything longer.  I was in my mid-40's.  I was glad when the trend was over.  With long legs, I looked all legs and they were always cold in the winter.  

Rarely wear dresses and skirts anymore, but when I do they look best on me covering the knee.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Grouchomarx  Wear what you like and like what you wear!!  Age doesn't matter.  It's up to each individual to wear what they want and are comfortable wearing.  There will always be someone who is critical of what others choose to wear.   You only have to please yourself and what anyone else thinks shouldn't matter. 

Very well said!  I am a senior and wear what I want and am comfortable in.  If I question an outfit, I don't wear it.  Please yourself not anyone else.  

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx  - If I had legs like Tina Turner, I'd definitely wear shorter skirts.  I don't wear them because I don't like my legs.  My age - 55 - doesn't impact my decision.

Honored Contributor

It's not something most women think about.  I thiink it just happens naturally as women, age their skirts get a little longer.   However, if a woman wants to wear thigh high skirts when she's in her 60's or 70's, that's her choice and only her choice.