Esteemed Contributor

You're only 47 so that's certainly not old! I agree with others that a couple of inches above the knee is usually fine. Mid-thigh and above that should be left for the 20-somethings and under, unless you have outstanding legs (and maybe you do)!

Respected Contributor

Re: Age and hemlines

[ Edited ]

I'm going to be 85 this year in October. I doidn't know there was an age rule. Anyway, I like mine at the knee. Like this. 

BlueLthrDress2.jpg

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now many ladies prefer an inch above the knee.  I think at the bottom of the knee is most flattering.  

Do what feels comfortable and appropriate.

Respected Contributor

I think it depends on the condition of your legs and skin on your knees.  I wear mine maybe one half inch below my knee.  But then I have always worn them that length.  I never wore my dresses or skirts above my knee.  That is my comfort zone.

Honored Contributor

At least on me at 5' 4", I think a skirt below the knee make me look (and feel) dumpy

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm petite, and generally prefer my skirts to be just above the knee.  But, at your age, I still wore them two to three inches above the knee.  I also wear shorts just a bit longer now, too!  I have good legs, but too short isn't good!  

That said, when I was your age (just turned 65), I could still wear them a couple inches higher.  Just not short!  

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all your input and helping me feel more confident! I think I know now which ones are jus too short and which ones I can still rock. You ladies are the best.

Honored Contributor

I did a number on myself by sunbathing like an idiot.

You know those UV photos the show hidden damage? Well, mine is no longer hidden. So I basically don't wear skirts or dresses, but if I did, I would feel more comfortable wearing the dreaded pantyhose.

In terms of age, though, if I didn't have this problem, I'd wear wear skirts or dresses above the knee but not so short that I'd look like a barfly.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

At least on me at 5' 4", I think a skirt below the knee make me look (and feel) dumpy

This is my problem.The only skirt I've worn below the knee was one that was an extremely well fitted pencil skirt. That one hit just below the knee and I loved it. I think I still have it now that I think about it. But anything a-line or even just a straight fit and I look awful.

Honored Contributor

I'm 63 and I've worn skirts where the hem comes to about an inch below the tips of my fingers as I place my arms down on my sides. I wear them like that with opaque tights in the winter. In the summer my hems come to just above my knee with bare legs. Anything longer that goes over my knees, like a midi, is not flattering on me.