Respected Contributor

I am wondering what you think about short hemlines with respect to age. Do you think a woman over a certain age should mind her hemline with skirts and dresses, or is it anything goes as long as it looks good and fits well?

Reason I ask: today I was trying on dresses and skirts which haven’t fit in a few years due to weight gain, and after some weight loss they all fit again. I was a little surprised how short some of these were and I was only wearing them about 3 years ago. I was like, whoa mama that’s short!  I don’t know what’s appropriate anymore. I’m 47 and really feeling my age lately.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I think a hemline that is a few inches above the knee is fine for every age. It is when they start hitting the mid thigh area that I think they are to short. It really is what you feel comfortable in and look in the mirror and see how you actually look all the way around and sit down to see if you feel comfortable with the length.

Honored Contributor

At my age I aim for just under the knee. I just feel it is a good length for my age. I want to dress fashionably, but , within the range that I feel comfortable..I am old enough to be your mother

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx  Wear what you like and like what you wear!!  Age doesn't matter.  It's up to each individual to wear what they want and are comfortable wearing.  There will always be someone who is critical of what others choose to wear.   You only have to please yourself and what anyone else thinks shouldn't matter. 

Trusted Contributor

I've decided age isn't a factor, at least not yet, but I know the feeling you're talking about. I'm 50 and have suddenly felt like a skirt is too short. But I myself am short so that's a problem. Anything too long and I just look dumpy and weird. I wouldn't go super short now but I can go 2-3 incches above the knee.

Trusted Contributor

I find knees & upper arms are areas that can really show age on some women.  When I watch Entertainment Tonight and see Nancy O'Dell in a short skirt/dress, I can hardly look at her because her knees have not aged well.  She is such a lovely lady, pretty in so many ways, and yet those knees make her look so inappropriately dressed.  This is not necessarily true for all women, but I would say most eventually have knees that detract from the beauty of the form of the female leg.  Take a good long look at yourself in these outfits - focus on your knees for a while - and see what your honest opinion is about whether they flatter you or not.  It is not really the chronological number of your age, but how your body changes that makes some outfits not as flattering as they once were.  JMHO

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@GrouchomarxI'm 30 years beyond you, so I'm not sure you need my opinion, but if you're comfortable in your "new" wardrobe, do wear it.  But I also agree with @Kitlynn that you need to check your mirror.  And I'd add -  check from the front and the back -  and if you still like what you see, put a chair in front of a full length mirror and sit down and look at yourself sitting in several positions, especially if you like to cross your legs.  I've seen women much younger than you are who look just fine in their slim, short skirts -  until they sit down with their legs crossed.  

If you feel as if you'll be tugging at your skirt every time you sit, you'll have to decide if that's okay with you.  Just don't make yourself "too old"  too soon.  Old will sneak in soon enough without your help!

Respected Contributor

At only 47 you're a spring chickenCat LOL  If you still like the skirts and they make you happy wear them. I see a lot of ladies my age (much older) wearing skirts/skorts/shorts above the knee.  I do live in a pretty warm climate tho.  I worry more about my aging skin on arms and legs and thus only wear bermuda length shorts.  I don't wear skirts.  I have some sleeveless tops and I think twice about wearing them due to crepey skin. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx  wrote:  

Do you think a woman over a certain age should mind her hemline with skirts and dresses, or is it anything goes as long as it looks good and fits well?

---------------------------------

Speaking only for myself ... the "sun dawned" one afternoon when I was in my early 50s.  

I liked pencil skirts just to mid-knee (not to brag, but I've been told I had great legs).  

One day, I'm trying to flag a cab and a woman about my age comes walking across the street towards me ... wearing a similar pencil skirt and I finally realized that there was a total disconnect between my legs and the rest of me.  From the waist down I was 25, from the waist up I was in my 50s.  I can still visualize the entire experience as I sit here typing.

The same style skirts, just a couple of inches longer were perfect and the legs still looked good.  Now - all my dresses and skirts just shy of being midi-length.  

Super Contributor

Re: Age and hemlines

[ Edited ]

Kitlynn

"I think a hemline that is a few inches above the knee is fine for every age. It is when they start hitting the mid thigh area that I think they are to short. It really is what you feel comfortable in and look in the mirror and see how you actually look all the way around and sit down to see if you feel comfortable with the length".

Mini skirts look best on the very young, under 30. As mentioned by Kitlynn, a few inched above the knee is fine for every age.