Esteemed Contributor

Advice Decluttering Mens clothing

[ Edited ]

I have no problem getting rid of my things.  I know what fits, what looks good and what might be in style.  But when it comes to mens things.. mostly coats and jackets I am stumped.  No outlet, no place to get this info, certainly not on the Q.  

Also hubby does not have a clue, never had, never will.   Still love him but clothes are not his thing.  

He has an overcoat with a faux fur collar.  Black collar brown coat. 

He has overcoats.  I think mid thigh

He has suits.  Not sure the collar width.  HIs have wide collar

He has a jacket or two or three with Nehru like collars with matching pants (I might have answered my own question. LOL

His western suits are still in style for what we need and want and I end up having him wear these because I have no clue about the rest.

What is in style for men?  What might come back and I should keep?

Since the overcoats are heavy they would be the first to go.

I see what is sold for casual sport like jackets with zippers so I can keep those.

Any help would be appreciated.  Might add we are both seniors, very active, go places all the time and if any of you out there in QVC land are square dancers we have met you someplace.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Advice Decluttering Mens clothing

First get rid of the clothes that don't fit anymore.  Then get rid of the items that haven't been worn in the last 5 years. Nehru jackets?  Yeah, get rid of them.

My husband is also clueless about clothing.  I pick out conservative items for him in manly colors and that seems to work.  Not concerned about what's in style as long as he is presentable. 

Esteemed Contributor

The jackets are snap fronts but have the rounded collar, I guess I called them Nehru. Originally they were sold as Western (with western pants).  So I am a bit not certain.  

And we have been married 50 years... he can wear his wedding suit.  I kid you not.  Everything he ever had fits him.  I am not in this situation although I am trying.

He has broad collar suit jackets.  Not sure if broad in in or narrow is in and I cannot tell by watching TV since I don't see men wearing suits.

As for not wearing. Yes, siting in the closet forever, no wearing.  

But the moment I dump something guess what?  

Esteemed Contributor

Nehru jackets I would get rid of. As for suits, how many does he really need.? My husband has one just in case. He hasn't worn it in years. As for the western clothes I would not want those either. I live in the west and no man or woman wears that stuff unless they go square dancing. My husbands wears jeans and Dockers with tee shirts and polo shirts. His work environment is casual (thank goodness) and he just wears khakis and a polo shirt. 

Honored Contributor

My husband retired in July. And he has cleaned out much of his clothing, He has been taking piles of clothes every week to be donated.

Suits he got rid of quite a few. And only kept the few that fit him. He has come to regret that decision.  A couple of years ago he stopped running because it botherd his hip and  knees. And he put on about 25 pounds. He then bought more clothes to fit his larger size. Well, when he retired he started back to the gym and working out. He is now back to his "running weight". And all the suits he donated would fit him now and all the suits he kept are too big. 

What suits have your husband worn recently? Does he like them? Get rid of all the rest. Because since you are seniors, it seems the less you have to deal with the better it will be. And keep the clothibng that he likes and wears. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Throw out all the suits and sport coats.  But one good new suit that the store can mark up and make it fit properly.  ANY suit on ANY man looks better for this.  Make it a dark color.  And buy him one good white dress shirt and nice not-loud tie to go with it.  Everyone needs this because people die or something comes up.

Get a navy sport coat/blazer and one pair of grey dress pants and fit properly and he can wear this to 90 percent of today's functions.  He can wear dress shirts and tie, golf shirts, even a t-shirt  or especially a tutleneck in the warmer months and look very classic and sharply dressed.  He will feel SOOOOO good.  This is the most used piece in almost any guy's closet outside of his casual clothes.  And it works great in almost any situation.

Maybe add a pair of classic black lace ups or even black loafers to go with the suit and sport coat.

Also be sure he has some good khako pants and a few golf shirts.  These go most places and you look nice anc crisp.  

With men's clothing, you cannot go wrong with the classics.  Oh, and that navy jacket looks GREAT with a pair of nice jeans!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@The bonnielu wrote:

I have no problem getting rid of my things.  I know what fits, what looks good and what might be in style.  But when it comes to mens things.. mostly coats and jackets I am stumped.  No outlet, no place to get this info, certainly not on the Q.  

Also hubby does not have a clue, never had, never will.   Still love him but clothes are not his thing.  

He has an overcoat with a faux fur collar.  Black collar brown coat. 

He has overcoats.  I think mid thigh

He has suits.  Not sure the collar width.  HIs have wide collar

He has a jacket or two or three with Nehru like collars with matching pants (I might have answered my own question. LOL

His western suits are still in style for what we need and want and I end up having him wear these because I have no clue about the rest.

What is in style for men?  What might come back and I should keep?

Since the overcoats are heavy they would be the first to go.

I see what is sold for casual sport like jackets with zippers so I can keep those.

Any help would be appreciated.  Might add we are both seniors, very active, go places all the time and if any of you out there in QVC land are square dancers we have met you someplace.  

Keep your square dancing stuff

For the rest I'd get on the Google and ask yr exact question 

old suits donate, the style won't come back and if it does an old suit will look like an old suit

ugh iPad makes me nuts here 

will finish this on computer 

Respected Contributor

Well my husband is a real pack rat! He used to cut the buttons off the old shirts that he tosses or donates. I would try to convince him that this is not necessary. I finally broke him of this. He said , well you never know when the cleaners will break a button, etc. 

Respected Contributor

I do not declutter my husband's clothes. I would not want him throwing my clothes away or getting rid of my things.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I understand your point.  But hubby comes to me to "dress him up."  My choice.  Normally believe it or not we coordinate.  Comes from our square dance mindset.  And usually we get compliments for doing so.  We do get along and we have had a success 50 year marriage SO FAR.  He does all my math, so it is a tradeoff.LOL