Respected Contributor

Adding insoles to shoes...recommendations needed.

I have several pairs of shoes/boots with 3" heels.  I hardly ever wear them because they cause pain in the balls of my feet.  I've tried adding the vionic insoles, but they don't provide the cushioning I need when wearing heels. Can anyone recommend an insole that I can add that will cushion the balls of my feet?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Adding insoles to shoes...recommendations needed.

Your feet are trying to tell you that your shoes aren't compatible with the condition of your feet but you're not listening.  If they hurt something is wrong.  You need to ditch the heels and slip into something lower and more comfortable before you cause permanent damage

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Check out Lynco Orthotics by Aetrex.  You might benefit by an orthotic with a metatarsal arch support also called a met pad.  It takes the pressure off the ball of your foot.  This is also my problem, and I have learned about this because my DH is 3rd generation shoe business, and my daughter is a pedorthist.  Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

Try the CLEAR (see-thru) rubberized 3/4 ladies insoles available at all B&M stores, (walgreens, the "marts" etc.)    They are an excellent cushion and don't have to be glued in.    They fit in heels, boots; even flats & sandals.  Several brands......$5-10

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Maybe try that machine they have at like Walmart that I believe is Dr. Scholl's.  You stand on it and it gives you a reading and then tells you which number you need.  They are around $35.  DH got a pair for his shoes and he likes them.  It's just a thought.

I, unfortunately, have to wear custom orthotics from a foot doctor.  You could try that but they are over $300.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will definitely check out something with metatarsal support...that sounds like exactly what I need.  I do wear comfort shoes most of the time because my life is very casual.  But sometimes, I want to wear something different.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Your feet are trying to tell you that your shoes aren't compatible with the condition of your feet but you're not listening.  If they hurt something is wrong.  You need to ditch the heels and slip into something lower and more comfortable before you cause permanent damage

Our feet change over time and not usually for the better.  At 70, I can't tell you all the changes my feet have gone through.  After I fractured the metatarsal tiny bone, the podiatrist recommended going to a specialty shoe store that would create simple pads for that foot.  None of the Dansko's I tried on fit: too wide, too short, etc.

After a while I did not need the little pad.  However, when I try on shoes, if they don't feel right immediately, back they go to the box.  I used to love spike heels but now I just look at them and my feet scream.  I had one pair that I just could not give away: they were basically red with black spike heels and black trim.  However, they too have flown the coop!

Good Luck with your search --- life is too short to have your feet hurt unnecessarily !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

Last week I read an article online that Hoda (that cohosts the show w/Katie Lee Gifford) uses maxi-pads in her shoes to make them comfortable.

Honored Contributor

@CindyinNC wrote:

Last week I read an article online that Hoda (that cohosts the show w/Katie Lee Gifford) uses maxi-pads in her shoes to make them comfortable.

Thats hard to believe because they are so thick they'd throw off the fit of the shoe.  It would be way too tight.  Even a small thin insole makes a huge difference.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Hon, go to Foot Smart.com.  The retail stuff is cheap and doesn't halfway give relief. 

Foot Smart is terrific for all problems with our feet and even have some shoes.  I wear their ball of the foot gel pads and can't even tell I'm standing (with leaning) all day in retail.  I did have to get some shoe stretchers and stretch the shoe a little to accommodate the gel pads.  Now, when I buy work shoes, I go a half size larger.