Honored Contributor

Accessorizing/color harmonies

I sent this to Lola but I would like for anyone interested to read and give me your thoughts on things you do to change up your look and colors that you like that are not mainstreamish, sotospeak.

Some of my favorite color combinations that are not seen everyday are hot pink and lipstick red, royal blue and bright yellow, navy blue and chartreuse, purple/red and military green.

Some things I do to break up the monotony of my dressing.  Please share some things you do and color combinations you like that are considered "different."

I love scarves and beginning to like brooches (well, pins).  I think they can transform an outfit.  I find cute and some very lovely pins on Etsy and at Amazon .

When I cannot wear a scarf for interest, I put a pin/brooch on my lapel but another place I have learned I like wearing a pin is on the outside of the sleeve of a jacket/blazer, between my elbow and wrist so that when my arm is flexed, outstretched or laid straight, the pin always shows. 

I have enjoyed watching YouTube videos with multiple ways to wear scarves and find many ways to wear them as well.  It just keeps our fashion lives interesting, finding new ways to wear old things by incorporating new ideas.

Occasionally wearing a man's tie with suiting keeps life interesting as well.  I do have a red velvet man's tie (it must have been created for someone's Christmas tie) that I found in a thrift shop that I wear with a black pants suit and white man's shirt.

Allowing a scarf to hang down my back rather than tied in front is another unusual way I have found to wear a scarf (must be a rectangle scarf long enough to double wrap around the neck and instead of draping to the front, drape to the back).   If people are accustomed to seeing you break the rules in fashion, they will think nothing of it except to compliment you.

It is no different from allowing a necklace to stream down your back rather than down your decolletage.  

I once walked by a boutique, saw several friends inside. I slipped through the side door.  The owner had allowed me to do that before.  Not knowing I was there, I heard one of them remark "If NAT were here, she would buy it, but I don't know what I would do with it if I had it."  I bought it.  It was a chatelaine with sterling silver scissors,  thimble, needle, safety pins and one of the cases held a secret compartment with a micro photograph of a cute little blond girl.  It must have been the owner as a child or one of her children.  I wore it proudly to luncheons and church.  

Hat pins are wonderful for attaching a scarf to your handbag or place a nice lace antique hanky in your jacket pocket and hold it in place with a hat pin.  

Share your ideas on styling.  I love hearing what others are doing that I can copy.

Honored Contributor

Re: Accessorizing/color harmonies

My "thing" is scarves, sweaters and vests.

I've mentioned this before .... I wore school uniforms for 12 years .... I never ever want to dress like anyone else.  So - I make original pieces to wear.  

I don't want to dress like anyone else or have anyone else dress like me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use different scarves, necklaces, or bracelets to change upmyloo . I DO try to have some colors repeat to give the style a "flow".  

My love is high contrast.  I wear white a lot, or black in summer with colors.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA 

Vests:  I only have two.  One is hip length and I get lots of compliments when I wear it.  I just don't wear it often enough.

Another is mole skin look (faux) of a taupe color that goes to my knees (I am short).  I wear it over black pants and sweater and I get a lot of compliments when I wear it.  

Thank you for mentioning it and thank you for sharing your ideas.  I do need to wear more vests. 

@ECBG    I have seen you wear vests and I think I am overcoming my fear of shorter people (I am shorter than you but I am 5-4 now) wearing vests.  I can do it!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday  It's easy for you to wear vests.

If you like the look, don't tuck your shirt or do a half tuck.

Also, wear your vests in proportion to your height.   They should be mid hip length.  If your issue is hips, have your skirt or slacks both  dark.

You haven't mentioned any other figure challenge other than height. 

I'm 5" 8 1/2"  in my shoes,  5' 6" normally.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've gone from mostly navy blue,  black, white and silvery grey up north to lots of pretty bright colors in the south.

When I'm in the mood, I will have fun wearing jewelry I've gotten mostly from qvc/hsn (thank you!) over the years.That is probably where I like to be most creative. 

I do love scarves and admire people who can wear them so well. I only wear them in winter though.

I like pins too but forget to wear them and they are hard to put on .

And I always say you can never have too many sparklesSmiley Happy

Image result for picture of sparkles

Amoung the first group of words 2 of my grandchildren learned was sparklesSmiley HappyHeart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Nonametoday It's easy for you to wear vests.

If you like the look, don't tuck your shirt or do a half tuck.

Also, wear your vests in proportion to your height.   They should be mid hip length.  If your issue is hips, have your skirt or slacks both  dark.

You haven't mentioned any other figure challenge other than height. 

I'm 5" 8 1/2"  in my shoes,  5' 6" normally.

I once was very big busted but had a bust reduction because of cysts (of which one was more than a cyst) in one breasts with a portion of breast being removed so I had to have a balance reduction, bilateral.  I have small hip area.  

Honored Contributor

@on the bay   You are a girl after my own heart.