Super Contributor

Acceptable work out clothes?

I belong to a fitness center that has a very liberal dress code:  no jeans, no boots, no muscle shirts.  But I have seen girls wearing clothes exactly like these and evidently are permitted:

leggings.jpg

top.jpg

Most us wear clothes like this:

normal dress.jpeg

The fitness center has signs all over the place saying "no gym intimidation", but girls wearing clothes like the ones I posted are definitely an intimidation to the rest us.  I think they just come to the fitness center to be "eye candy" and try to pick up guys.   Ignoring them is the way to go I'm sure, but it's hard when you see them jiggle, jiggle, jiggle their way across the room.  But I'm sure the guys love it!

I just wish they would have stricter dress code.  But I suppose they need all the gym membership fees they can get.

Man plans. God laughs.
Honored Contributor

Re: Acceptable work out clothes?

@caroln242 To me, no gym intimidation is for one of two things: prohibit people from freelance personal training a la "With three sessions a week, I could have you back in shape..." and the keep the competitive body builders from "hogging" the machines, when they do a half hour of reps at each machine.

Respected Contributor

I do not understand why these types of attire are intimidating.  I would not wear them but I would not care if others do. 

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Just go do your workout and don't worry about other people. 

Honored Contributor

I'm only guessing that this look would appeal to some people.  Men and/or women.  

I'm always 'covering up' that area, even though I'm slim-ish.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

When I posted this I was sincerely wondering what others thought about this type of work out clothing.   I still feel it's inappropriate, but I guess I'm a little straight-laced and need to get with the times!  Woman Tongue

Man plans. God laughs.
Esteemed Contributor

What someone else wears to the gym is not considered intimidation.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never belonged to a gym....so take what I say with that in mindWoman Happy

I am thinking there are many reasons people go to the gym....the obvious is to workout build muscle and train/lose weight.  Others perhaps go as a social experience.  Looking to meet "men" to date...and well it's the daytime attire for bar hopping when I was young LOL!

IF I did belong to a gym I would ignore for the most part what others are wearing.  I simply don't care....as long as it's covered up.

Myself I can't figure out the workout wear I see at the stores....I would sweat to death in those tight full length pants.  I need air flow when I work out at home...so loose fitting tank top and loose pants or capri length thin material pants.  I sweat ALOT so this is not a beauty show and I don't even want my husband around AT ALL while I am "trying" my best to workout.  I stay away from him when he is busy working out and he knows to give me my space!  This is not a competition or a peek showWoman Wink

Valued Contributor

@caroln242
I’d think it was inappropriate too. You don’t need to “get with the times.” I remember seeing women dress scantily at the gym 30 years ago and I’d show up in an old t-shirt and sweatpants and thought the same thing- LOL! Some people like the attention. Just try to let it go.
Respected Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

I belong to a fitness center that has a very liberal dress code:  no jeans, no boots, no muscle shirts.  But I have seen girls wearing clothes exactly like these and evidently are permitted:

The fitness center has signs all over the place saying "no gym intimidation", but girls wearing clothes like the ones I posted are definitely an intimidation to the rest us.  I think they just come to the fitness center to be "eye candy" and try to pick up guys.   Ignoring them is the way to go I'm sure, but it's hard when you see them jiggle, jiggle, jiggle their way across the room.  But I'm sure the guys love it!

I just wish they would have stricter dress code.  But I suppose they need all the gym membership fees they can get.

I don't understand what the problem is. What others wear to a gym is not intimidation. I don't know anyone who goes to a gym to be "eye candy." Maybe it's not the right gym for you.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky