Honored Contributor

Re: Absence of color and all color

On 9/29/2014 minowica said: Yes Issac is right when he says white is the absence of color. Because you can't mix anything to get white. First year of art school teaches you that. I don't usually post a reply just look for advice on things but needed to get things straight as far as a designer is concerned.

http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/are-black-and-white-colors#Anchor-Color-47857

But this is the scientific explanation. I know what people (me included) are saying when they say, I want to add some color. They are not talking about white, or black for that matter. They are talking about reds and blues and greens and their ilk, etc.

Honored Contributor

If you mix all the colors in your paint box together, you'll get black. It is a color. However, there is no way to make white. You can't mix other colors and make white so it is the absence of color. Black absorbs light while white reflects light but this has nothing to do with determining which is a color and which is not. I took a whole semester in college studying the science of color.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On 9/29/2014 shoekitty said:
On 9/29/2014 ical said: <ol style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; color: #222222; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: 15px;"> <li class="mod" style="margin: 0px; padding: 20px 20px 0px; border: 0px; line-height: 1.2; list-style: none; clear: none;">
In the visible spectrum, white reflects light and is a presence of all colors, but black absorbs light and is an absence of color. Black can be defined as the visual impression experienced when no visible light reaches the eye.
wikipedia
</li> </ol>

Ical

You are so right, thank you.

1. Black is the absence of color (and is therefore not a color)

Explanation:
When there is no light, everything is black. Test this out by going into a photographic dark room. There are no photons of light. In other words, there are no photons of colors.

2. White is the blending of all colors and is a color.

Explanation:
Light appears colorless or white. Sunlight is white light that is composed of all the colors of the spectrum. A rainbow is proof. You can't see the colors of sunlight except when atmospheric conditions bend the light rays and create a rainbow. You can also use a prism to demonstrate this.

Fact: The sum of all the colors of light add up to white. This is additive color

Shoekitty, you are wrong.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
New Contributor

Isaac is right.......i'm sorry.i am a 6 year art major. designer. white is the absence of color. there is no other eay about it. The man is correct.

Super Contributor

On 9/30/2014 kachina624 said: If you mix all the colors in your paint box together, you'll get black. It is a color. However, there is no way to make white. You can't mix other colors and make white so it is the absence of color. Black absorbs light while white reflects light but this has nothing to do with determining which is a color and which is not. I took a whole semester in college studying the science of color.

That's what I learned in art class too.I think that's what Isaac means (: