Esteemed Contributor

@crawford5153 

All I could think of is all the cooties from those rugs swimming around on the clothing!  DH doesn't see it that way at all Cat LOL  

I grew up hanging clothing on the line....summer and winter.  When it was too cold, or the weather was bad, we would throw it over the radiators in the house.  I don't remember what we did when it rained!

We ironed everything back then....everything!  When my mother finally got a dryer, it was a big relief for my sis and I as we were the hangers.

I know what you mean about having that energy though.  I'm 68 and still can do a lot when I put my mind to it.  

Thankfully, we do have some things that make our lives easier....washers and dryers being among them.

Honored Contributor

Re: ARG....I did it again!

[ Edited ]

Dryers (not so much washers) are brutal on clothes!  Over time, endless drying fades colors, shrinks and expands clothes.  Sometimes over and over.  It shortens the life of clothes. The delicate cycle helped.  But pretty much you can't really put 100% cotton in the dryer.  I have a bar over my washer/dryer for that reason.  Most of the times, I remember and get them separated & hang up tops. Just not this time.  My premium jeans cost too much to risk putting in the dryer.  I have drying rack for that. I wash them separately and have never put them in dryer. You really can't with jeans that are 99% cotton 1% stretch.

Valued Contributor

I hate it when that happens.  I always line dry everything.  On the occasion something of mine gets picked up in my husbands clothes, my articles of clothing are doomed. He dries everything! 😆

Valued Contributor

Land's End always used to advertize that they washed their cotton before manufactering the clothing so you could be sure it wouldn't shrink. I love that! I don't always want to wash my cotton in cold water. 

Super Contributor
I've put the wrong things in the dryer too many times too! Now I keep 2 laundry baskets in my master closet. One is for "special handling" and the other is for everything else. DH doesn't do the wash but knows that I will use cold water/low (if any) heat for the stuff in the special handling basket. This makes it super simple for me to give extra attention to clothing that needs it.