Esteemed Contributor

Why didn't their mom's teach them to do laundry? My husband knew how to do laundry and household cleaning. I didn't have to teach him anything. To be honest, he probably had to teach me a few things about housekeeping! I grew up in a home with a housekeeper and never had to do that stuff for myself. Prior to marriage I received a quick lesson from "Lois" (our housekeeper).

Our first home didn't have a dishwasher (or Lois) and actually doing the dishes every evening became overwhelming. In short, I hated it! Didn't mind cleaning, laundry, doing the floors or bathrooms. But the dishes . . . not my thing at all. My husband tried to do them periodically, too. He didn't like doing dishes, either. Smiley LOL 

We were on limited funds, but my husband managed to save enough money from his Veteran's Disability Payments for one of those portable dishwashers (it was yellow!) that hooked to the kitchen faucet! We both felt like we were in Heaven . . . and spent our evenings studying instead of doing dishes! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@ID2 

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@stellabystarlight wrote:

I never put anything with cotton in the dryer.  I let them air dry because I have always found that they shrink a little even if I put them on delicate dryer cycle.

I usually hang them up..  But for some reason, I got distracted and forgot about them.  When I went down stairs to the now stopped dryer, I suddenly remembered!   I'm going to iron them in the hopes they will stretch out.

Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife 

DH is a contractor and his clothing is pretty dirty.  That is why he decided to have his own washer and dryer in the garage.  Thankfully, he does all his own clothing.  

It's a gift.

However, he told me once that he washes everything, including the rugs on the floor, in the same load.  

Nothing gets separated.

Hey, at least he's doing his own wash!Cat LOL

Valued Contributor

@songbird - my mom always said dryer shrinkage can usually be reversed.  Not the same case if something is mistakenly washed in hot water.  Anyhow, I usually just soak whatever snuck into the dryer in cool/lukewarm water and then lay it out and stretch it back to its original shape (usually roll in a towel to remove excess water first).  Does not work for everything but you might give it a try.  I would think using a hot iron and stretching will not have the same result.  Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

Honored Contributor

@so so wrote:

Exact reason i keep my husband away from doing laundry....everything goes in the dryer on HIGH heat. gets my goat. so many things have been  ruined by him. an Issac t shirt. never bought another one.

@so so OH MY GOSH!!!  You brought up a memory for me.  I was in my 30's and had bought a beautiful shirt with matching cashmere sweater by Talbots, NOT on sale, periwinkle and navy, beautiful!

I had them in the washer, DH comes along and pops them in the dryer.  The sweater looked like it belonged to Barbie!  I had preached and preached "Don't touch MY laundry!!!!!"  I took that sweater and draped it over the trash can where he had to see it every morning.

He'd put the sweater in the trash, I'd rehang.  I told him it was his "sticky note"!  It stayed a month.  Never happened again.

I was able to rebuy my set, thank goodness!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ARG....I did it again!

[ Edited ]

@songbird 

Having had the same disaster a few times, I finally found a solution.

First off, I needed to just slow down a tic when stuffing the washer.  Secondly, I went on Amazon and purchased some of those "lingerie bags" you use that have zippers on them.  I purchased the selection that has about 6 different sizes.

Anyway, I place my 100% cotton tops in these zipper bags and anything else needing extra attention, like a black top with a faded red Japanese rooster on it with a few teeny rhinestones within Japanese character writing.  I know this top sounds weird, but I've had a gillion complements on it and not one rhinestone has been lost in the wash, because I turn it inside-out and then place it in one of those bags.

Edited to add:  At the end of the wash cycle, I grab any lingerie bags and head for the rack, so I can hang or lay them out to dry.

Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

It works great for lingerie such as bras.

Glad you bought that up.  Me and my fading memory are just to much lol.