Honored Contributor

Re: ANYBODY ELSE READY TO THINK SPRING/SUMMER FASHIONS?

Nope, I prefer fall/winter clothing.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

All I need this year are some new t-shirts. Haven't gotten any in a few years. Will go to Kohl's probably in March.

Respected Contributor

On 1/25/2015 maddiecat said:

peachesncream,

Regarding the Talbots top: I am 5'7" with a long torso and these hit me at mid-hip. I consider them a good length for me -- not too long and definitely not too short.

The neckline is cut so that you don't have to wear a layering piece underneath, although I do. I guess I do this mainly out of habit because I used to do it with the Ann Taylor version of these tops, which definitely needed a layering piece underneath.

Since you are 5'4", you fall between a Misses size and a Petite size. If you have a long torso, I would probably go with a Misses size. But if you are short-waisted, the Petite size might be a better fit.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all of this information! It helps a lot. This sounds like a top where I will need a petite, that way the wrap won't be too revealing and the length will be right. One thing I like about Talbots is that they have petites in the store, so I can make comparisons. Mostly, I buy regulars, because in petites I have to go up a size or the chest is too tight, and when I go up in size the shoulders are often too big. I really am borderline. I read the reviews online, and if customers complain that a top or sweater is too short, I buy it! .
Trusted Contributor

Hi, magic! I hope this winter has not been too bad for you. Here in the upstate of South Carolina, it has been very mild. No big storms or power outages, yet. Hopefully, we will not have any!

Yes, I have been thinking about spring/summer fashions. In keeping with my new way of managing my fashion dollars, I have not bought much this winter. I truly want a small wardrobe with only things that I love and are appropriate for my lifestyle. Sounds kind of silly, but I want to love my basics, too. The perfect white tank is so much better than one that is slightly too short or cut a bit too low. So for spring all I want are slim ankle pants (denim, khaki, and a color--perhaps pink) and a few tops. I will donate things from my closet, too. When something new comes in, something old must leave.

Take care!!

Paws and enjoy life.
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/23/2015 maddiecat said: Hi, magic! The tops I'm eyeing are A212586. They are the faux-wrap style that I love. I gave up on the Ann Taylor versions after purchasing many over three years and instead went with the Talbots version last fall. I own four colors and they have been worn frequently! Now there are spring colors offered. I like the pink, coral and periwinkle blue colors.

maddie, I remember you having a problem with the Ann Taylor wrap tops. Do you feel these tops from Talbot's wear better? I really like this style and a plus for me is it comes in Petite which I realize works much better for my short-torso, long-legged self!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/25/2015 Dosey said:

Hi, magic! I hope this winter has not been too bad for you. Here in the upstate of South Carolina, it has been very mild. No big storms or power outages, yet. Hopefully, we will not have any!

Yes, I have been thinking about spring/summer fashions. In keeping with my new way of managing my fashion dollars, I have not bought much this winter. I truly want a small wardrobe with only things that I love and are appropriate for my lifestyle. Sounds kind of silly, but I want to love my basics, too. The perfect white tank is so much better than one that is slightly too short or cut a bit too low. So for spring all I want are slim ankle pants (denim, khaki, and a color--perhaps pink) and a few tops. I will donate things from my closet, too. When something new comes in, something old must leave.

Take care!!

Hi Dosey! Nice to *see* you! While I can't complain (too much) about ice, snow and below 0 temps, it seems like we have had so many gray, gloomy days, I find it a bit depressing. That is why I am trying to be constructive and work on a spring/summer wardrobe.

Your desire to love your basics is not silly at all. When thinking about our wardrobe, I feel it should encompass everything including our basics. After all, don't we feel more put together when we are wearing great undies!?! Kiss

I hope you are doing well, Dosey.

Super Contributor

Hi, magic!

Yes, I definitely believe the Talbots tops wear better than the Ann Taylor versions. I wore one of my last remaining AT tops on Friday and just about decided that it should go away, as it has pilled. The fabric in the Talbots version is much more substantial and I have not experienced a problem with pilling or shrinking.

Also, as I said before, an under layer is not necessary (at least it wasn't in the fall colors). The fall colors were very popular, so I'm not surprised in the least that spring colors are offered. I will definitely be adding more to my closet. My office is cold year-round, so wearing long sleeves in the spring and into summer won't bother me.

And Dosey, I agree that spending money on basics is worthwhile!

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, maddie. I'm glad to hear these tops won't be as likely to pill as those from Ann Taylor. That drives me nuts--at the first sign of pilling a garment will go in the ragbag!

The crossover tops aren't available in my store yet, but I plan to keep checking.

Super Contributor

I've been thinking about what I'm doing this summer ... I have a bunch of stuff that needs to be replaced, and things to be added for a lifestyle modification.

Just this weekend I made my style and color decisions. I need to plan early because I make my own accessories.

Anyway ... I'm set. It's all in the works. I'm knitting and crocheting a bunch of new summer accessories and excited about my "spring and summer look." When weather warms up - off to Aerosoles shop to buy new sandals.

Esteemed Contributor

I am now finished buying winter clothes at great sale prices. I am looking forward to Talbots running a great promotion some time in Feb. on new things. in addition I have my 15% Birthday month coupon for one day's worth (not one item) but 15% extra off everything I buy in one day in Feb so will be looking for a good promo and then add my coupon on top.