Valued Contributor

Re: AMS Live Chat, 12/31, 7:00

@jackthebear wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

@gmkb

I just found out about this website, since you are close to Disney-

ETA- oops- wrong Disney- I was blinded by fur!

http://disneylandcats.com/

Check out the kitty profiles.Cat Very Happy

https://www.instagram.com/catsofdisneyland/

Love that! Now following :#)

Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie

Hi Sadie, after I was diagnosed with Hashimotos in 2013 I came down with a cold that had some lung congestion with it.  I was crusing the cough syrup aisle, and noticed a comment on the back of a label of some cough syrup regarding thryoid or taking medication for thyroid.  I walked over to the pharmacist and said, what's up with the cough syrup and the thyroid?  He said that some cough syrups can make a thryoid condition worse temporarily (either more hyper or more hypo) and can interfere with medication for it.

I can't remember which ingredient it was, it's been a couple of years.

After that I make sure I read labels and look for any shout out to thyroid patients.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Good Morning @PINKdogWOOD

Honored Contributor

IMG_5528.JPG

IMG_5527.JPG

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@Bird mama: I apologize for butting in on your lovely morning chat. I usually roll out of bed on Sat morning, come to read your chat for a bit before working out, finish up the read after my workout and breakfast. Anyway, seems I'm just a Lookie 

Lou.

But, birdmama, I found it interesting what you said about thyroid and Otc meds. I've been taking Armour for low thyroid for many years and never have heard that before. Luckily I'm very healthy so allergy meds are about the only thing I ever take other than occasional Advil.

Would you mind taking the time to explain why otc's would be an issue? You wouldn't need to go into depth.

Ok, Happy New Year to all of you lovely and funny ladies. I go back into the shadows😎

@Sadiesadie  No need to go back into the shadows.  Come back and join us next week too.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama
Thanks! Which insurerer covers? The one you had when diagnosed or the one that is active when the test is run? TIA
Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie

Found it - bless Google, lol.

"Many packages of over-the-counter cough and cold medicines and decongestants say "Do not take if you have one of the following..." and then go on to list thyroid disease. You may wonder, then, if you can take these products for your cold or flu?

The reason for these warnings is the stimulant pseudoephedrine, an ingredient in some formulations of Sudafed and some cold and allergy medicines. Stimulants can be dangerous to people with active hyperthyroidism as they can add strain to an already taxed heart and high blood pressure found in hyperthyroidism. "

Sadie, I don't think cough syrup will drop a thyroid patient like a rock however my feeling is, why stress my poor thryoid out if I don't have to.  

Esteemed Contributor

Buttercups, I know that you do something in the film industry, but where do you work?

My brothers eldest son graduated in May as a meteorologist & was lucky to land a job at a TV station in Paducah, KY as an Associate Producer of the evening news.  We had lunch with him on  Tuesday & life is good for him, except he is quite a ways from home.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama

So glad you had a nice time with your fam and esp nieces.

@lolakimono

Nice warmth in FL sounds great right about now!

Honored Contributor

@LTT1

Well, when it comes to testing, the doctor should indicate the diagnosis he suspects.  I doubt it would be a screening or routine code.

When it comes to inpatient or ER claims, there are usually multiple diagnoses - what you presented when you arrived and what the outcome was.

If you've had pneumonia before in your life, it could be something as simple as scar tissue.  That happened to my husband.