Honored Contributor

Re: AM Style Live Chat - 12/10/22

Thank you @1 DancinQueen . She has difficulty reaching up to do makeup, so we're doing a simple look that she can duplicate whenever she wants, not just a wedding look. 

Her wedding was planned for during Hanukkah and I wanted to be with my family and she wanted ME for makeup. She was able to move the date later when we looked at schedules about 6 months ago. 

***This is her second appt. I purchased special longer handled brushes (I like to use shorter handles, even travel brush sets, if possible) but these will help her apply makeup and taught her how to hold them at the far ends to make it a bit more comfortable for her. I'll be doing her makeup for the rehearsal dinner, wedding and Sunday brunch. Several hour appt. this afternoon for sure. 

Honored Contributor

@SoX   Last year I found grey, navy and black houndstooth slacks. That started me on navy tops odyssey.

I love the black watch plaids and have a plush robe in that print, but difficult for me to fid a small enough plaid for clothing. I'd love a blazer to tie my two colors together. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama 

I'm having a hard time getting started with decorations this year ... and, as I look up and down my block, this seems to be the trend of my neighbors, too.  Chalk it up to lousy weather or, more likely,  an ageing population, I guess.  We just don't have the stamina or inclination to just "get out there" and do it.

I love the little critter friends you purchased ... and the fact that you wouldn't take one without the other says so much about your loving character.   I think I like this fact right now, given all that's going on with the hateful comments I've seen on the national stage, and to a smaller degree, right here on these boards.  I need to get out of my depressive state ... 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a fairskinned natural redhead and cannot wear solid black on my upper half of the body.  Seriously, put me in black, lay me down and wrap the rosary around my hands - yea I look that dead.  

Navy has been my best friend my entire life and I have on occasion worn black with navy.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@Bird mama 

I'm having a hard time getting started with decorations this year ... and, as I look up and down my block, this seems to be the trend of my neighbors, too.  Chalk it up to lousy weather or, more likely,  an ageing population, I guess.  We just don't have the stamina or inclination to just "get out there" and do it.

I love the little critter friends you purchased ... and the fact that you wouldn't take one without the other says so much about your loving character.   I think I like this fact right now, given all that's going on with the hateful comments I've seen on the national stage, and to a smaller degree, right here on these boards.  I need to get out of my depressive state ... 

@SoX   Don't beat yourself down and only do as much as you feel comfortale doing. Many houses on our block with older residents decided on a wreath (beautiful ones all done and ready) at Michael's and Amazon. All I did was a "winter wreath" with dried flowers. I had some silver nail polish and went back in on the tips of the dried blooms to spiff it up. 

The "situation" this year prevented me from making my usual wreath with Hanukkah decor.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I'm wearing a lot of navy instead of black (shocker) near my face in tops and sweaters....always my signature pearls and a few chains, long and short.  My J Crew navy cashmere classic fit sweater arrived yeaterday and I tracked down a lot of navy tops at 50% off at Banana Republic. navy looks good with jeans and I also wear navy and black together.

Do any of you wear black and navy? 

navy never, 

not as much black as I used to,

Honored Contributor

@SoX   You live in the same region as me and we both know it can get really cold in a minute.  When we had a nice warm day near late October, I strung up a couple of strands of lights around the front porch and along the attached garage gutter.  I was gonna get it while the getting was good.  I didn't turn them on until the Monday following Thanksgiving.  I like Thanksgiving to have it's own time.

The hardest part for me this year was getting off dead center.  I wrote in the daily shopaholics thread on December 5th that it was D-day and I was going to have everything up by end of day.  I committed publicly and wouldn't be able to lie and say I got it down so once I got it started I was on a roll.

Well, until I started dressing the tree and ran into light issues.  I finished at 11:40 pm that same day and made my goal.  My family tradition is to leave everything up through the feast of the epiphany.  I'm usually the only person on the block still turning on her Christmas lights after NY eve.

I take the tree and decorations down MLK weekend.  

Honored Contributor

@SoX  My loving character is why I could never foster an animal.  I'd have a zoo, lol.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SoX wrote:

@Bird mama 

@SoX   Don't beat yourself down and only do as much as you feel comfortale doing. Many houses on our block with older residents decided on a wreath (beautiful ones all done and ready) at Michael's and Amazon. All I did was a "winter wreath" with dried flowers. I had some silver nail polish and went back in on the tips of the dried blooms to spiff it up. 

The "situation" this year prevented me from making my usual wreath with Hanukkah decor.

speaking of Chanukah I found a cute tray at TJMaxx yesterday just perfect for the Menorah instead of a piece of foil

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I'm a fairskinned natural redhead and cannot wear solid black on my upper half of the body.  Seriously, put me in black, lay me down and wrapo the rosary around my hands - yea I look that dead.  

Navy has been my best friend my entire life and I have on occasion worn black with navy.

@Bird mama   I get it. Always fair with dark hair, I needed a bit of jewelry closer to my face. Now with grey hair, wearing black tops, jewelry is a necessity not an option.