Honored Contributor

Re: AM Style Chat - May 14, 2022

Thanks for the conversation ladies. Time for me to mosey into the garage to continue what feels like my perpetual decluttering efforts.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

@SoX   Tuna salad description had me considering stopping in for leftovers today, but the Jr's cheesecake was a bonus!!

Super Contributor

@Desert Lily   Good for you getting everything in place.  Major accomplishment.  Everytime I think of moving, a cold hand seems to surround my heart and freezes it....not sure I have the energy to do that.  You are a strong woman.  If you don't mind, what area of PA did you move to?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1 DancinQueen 

Come on by ... we have leftovers!  Today ... or most likely tomorrow ... I think I'll fire up the grill and put on some Rastelli's steaks.  You're welcome to come, sit, eat and talk if you've a mind to ... 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama 

Thought I'd post it here, rather than look for the old thread ...  sad news, though:

Monty the beloved piping plover spotted ‘gasping for air’ before dying suddenly, authorities say – C...

Respected Contributor

@1 DancinQueen  I'm about 45 minutes northwest of Philly, in a small town that seems to be growing with people moving from NYC, Philly, & other larger cities.

Honored Contributor

Oh no @SoX   There's been lots of chatter here in Michigan by the DNR and some agricultural group about HPAI - highly pathogenic avian flu.  Not only is it detrimental to chicken and turkey food processing places, it's affecting folks who are allowed to have backyard flocks of chickens.  I know I keep talking about chickens and turkeys however 'water' birds likes duck and such are the carriers/transmitters and it's had me on edge because it can spread to run of the mill wild birds.  It was also reported that three red fox kits passed away from HPAI.

Wouldn't you know, my duck couple decided to return this year Woman Frustrated  I told them early on, look, do not bring any friends with you like you did in 2018 when 16 other ducks showed up.  You put this on the duck web and I will cut you off food wise.

All of this is to say, I wonder if HPAI is in your part of the world and if it took little Monty out.  I don't know if Rose every made it back to Monty.  What are heartbreaking situation.  I'm relieved that they are going to try to determine cause of death for little Monty.  Bless his heart.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama 

I don't think Rose ever showed up ... I'm going to do a little more research on that, though.   How sad will it be if she does make it and Monty is not here.   Boy, we were all rooting for Rose to get here, and now this ... Woman Sad

By the way ... my robins are back this year.  You may remember that last year I couldn't use my back yard until the babies hatched.  This year poppa robin decided to build the nest on our roof rather than on the light fixture at the back door, which is just ducky with me ... I don't get the fly-overs every time I step outside.

Honored Contributor

@SoX   I saw this a bit earlier

https://news.wttw.com/2022/04/15/over-200-birds-are-suspected-have-died-avian-flu-chicago-area-fores...

I forgot to ask you this morning - did you receive an adirondack chair for Mother's Day? 

Honored Contributor

@SoX   This is the article about the fox kits that passed away.

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/about/newsroom/releases/2022/05/12/highly-pathogenic-avian-influenza-co...

My state is quick to assure people, don't worry, it mostly affects water birds who curiously survive it.  In every other bird it's fatal.  Then they say, shh don't worry about people catching it.  And then I read about 3 mammals - fox babies who catch it and die from it.

I don't think they really know.