Respected Contributor

Re: šŸ AM Style Chat August 20, 2022 7 AM

@1 DancinQueen  @Bird mama  I like slips. I don't have many dresses or skirts that need them though. If the material is scratchy or see through, I like a half-slip, but I like small slits on the side of my slip so I can move easier. If I need "smoothing" under a dress or skirt, I wear a Jockey slip short.

And really, for me, there's nothing that felt more luxurious and feminine than a satin full slip.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily   All of my half slips have that side slit Woman Very Happy  You know I ordered that Renee Greenstein TSV dress a few weeks back. Of course I was yammering on this thread and not looking at the TV so when they kept mentioning magic waist I don't know why I thought the magic was some kind of shirring or draping.  So I received the dress and learned it was a piece of raw elastic stitched on the back of the dress.  I also learned that the magic was happening not at the natural waist but at the empire waistline area.

I have a waist so when I put the dress on I thought see Bernie, this is what happens when you glance at something and then tune into an episode of McCloud Woman Very Happy  Had the magic waist elastic been encased or wrapped in fabric (not a dressmake so I don't know how to explain it) I probably wouldn't have been skeeved out by the sensation.

Now might be a good time to admit I don't really like elastic clinching me in any way shape or form.  Can't stand it on sleeves either.

Well, I have camisoles and a full slip in addition to the half slips.  Once I put the camisole on and the elastic wasn't touching me directly I thought ooh, this dress is a keeper.

I probably won't do magic waist again from this line.  Being old fashioned saved me from having to return the dress.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

Great advice!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

About slips.... I went to Catholic school from kindergarten through 12th grade.  From the time I was a wee one, I wore a slip under my uniform.  I think this is why slips and camis come naturally to me.  It started at age 5.

Honored Contributor

@1 DancinQueen 

Thanks!

When I have been out and about during the last two weeks or so, I have noticed people "masked up" and for some reason, I found this rather odd? IDK šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø if it was their age or what? But it registered in my mind making me ask "are our rates up?"

Then I heard this morning on the news that yes ours are up and various universities/schools are requiring masks šŸ˜· for back to school. 

DD is not going to be happy, having to again wash them and assure that kids are sent to school with them, but I'm sure she will readily agree it's better than keeping the kids home to learn!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have several gauzey skirts by Louis Dell'Olio and always wear a half slip with them ... in fact, I wear either a whole or half slip with any dress or skirt. 

Now you know my age ...

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama @SoX @jackthebear 

So, last year, when I kept looking at coats, I just automatically went to Macy's.

But what happened is that I'd find things online that the store didn't have. Even though the store STILL ALL SUMMER was filled up with coats! 

UGH

Honored Contributor

@SoX  Maybe it is generational or for me psychological since my slip wearing started at such a young age.  To me, the proper undergarment just finishes the overall look.  I am also funny about the backs and heels of pumps and dress shoes.  Do not, under any circumstances, drive a car in your pump or dress shoes.  That's what a cheap pair of scuffies in the car are for.  I can't tell you how many times I saw women dressed sharply from head to toe only to see their heels tore up or the back of the right shoe funky dirty because they wore them while driving.  Killed the entire look.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

JCP has this faux wrap skirt in a couple of colors in misses and petites.  I hope they offer it in tall.  It's the kind of staple (to me) that works for a variety of situations from Church to God forbid a funeral.  Not that I go to alot of places, lol, I imagine this would look festive with a red top for holidays.

pretty, Bird mama!

Honored Contributor

YAYšŸŽ‰ for this comment!