Honored Contributor

Re: AM I THE ONLY ONE DISMAYED WITH CHRISTMAS SELLING BEFORE HALLOWEEN??

I don't let it bother me, it's been done for years and years, I only watch or browse in stores if I am interested. While I don't shop till much closer to Christmas, I realize that lots of people need to spread their holiday shopping out over more time. And that includes their decorations, so this does help those people, I think.
Actually I can remember when I was a child, our church had a big "Christmas in July" thing, IIRC, it was a charity drive.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

It doesn't bother me. If I'm not in the market yet I just pass on by until I am looking to buy. I certainly don't find it offensive in any way. I can ignore it if I want to.

Christmas is no longer solely a celebration of the birth of Christ, no matter whether people believe it should be. It has become a secular holiday as well - and that isn't going to change or somehow be rendered invalid solely because it isn't strictly Christian.  It is what it has become. Each group who celebrates, in their own way and for their own reasons, is valid.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

It doesn't bother me.  If I'm not in the market to buy, I pass it by.  Christmas is about spending time with family and friends for me.  Gifts are nice, but it's those memories sitting around the table that I remember.

Super Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

I think what the OP means is, back in the "old days", "Christ"mas was a celebration of the birth of Christ, December 25th.  Instead of a 2 - 3 week celebration commemorating the birth of Christ, it has now "morphed" into a shopping spree 365 days a year, which is an abberation of it's original intent.  

Well said RinaRina!  

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who came (late 70's) to the US from Iran.  She wasn't Christian but she put up a Christmas tree every year w/ all the fixin's!  

To her, the Christmas holiday symbolized America & all of the freedom it afford her & her family.   It also symbolized love...in a BIG way.  

She always said, 'why isn't Christmas celebrated every day?"   THAT...is the true spirit of Christmas!   Funny how it took someone of a different faith to recognize that!     I say, why not have it up after Halloween?  More the merrier!  🎄🎄

Contributor

I am almost done christmas shopping so I love it. Have bought a lot of my gifts on qvc.
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I have a friend who came (late 70's) to the US from Iran.  She wasn't Christian but she put up a Christmas tree every year w/ all the fixin's!  

To her, the Christmas holiday symbolized America & all of the freedom it afford her & her family.   It also symbolized love...in a BIG way.  

She always said, 'why isn't Christmas celebrated every day?"   THAT...is the true spirit of Christmas!   Funny how it took someone of a different faith to recognize that!     I say, why not have it up after Halloween?  More the merrier!  🎄🎄

ITA. There is (or should be) room for all goodwill and good thoughts based on the positive emotions of the year-end holiday season. It's a happy, family-oriented, loving time for everyone, all-inclusive, to celebrate as they find appropriate.  

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

ITA. There is (or should be) room for all goodwill and good thoughts based on the positive emotions of the year-end holiday season. It's a happy, family-oriented, loving time for everyone, all-inclusive, to celebrate as they find appropriate.  

I feel this way too, but I also unerstand and appreciate OP's POV.  I always feel as though I need MORE Christmas, not less.

Trusted Contributor

I do wish they would hold off on the Christmas trees on the sets until after Halloween. The Christmas in July was too much for me but I can see why others would love it, I just wish it was a "one time only" meaning one day! Or maybe even just one weekend but it seemed to be all month long. I enjoy the Holiday season in consecutive order and rarely plan for Christmas buying until around Thanksgiving, I just love the getting out during the season itself.
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

It doesn't bother me. If I'm not in the market yet I just pass on by until I am looking to buy. I certainly don't find it offensive in any way. I can ignore it if I want to.

Christmas is no longer solely a celebration of the birth of Christ, no matter whether people believe it should be. It has become a secular holiday as well - and that isn't going to change or somehow be rendered invalid solely because it isn't strictly Christian.  It is what it has become. Each group who celebrates, in their own way and for their own reasons, is valid.

I agree, with one little change - while Dec 25th specifically was designated as the celebration of the birth of Christ, a non-religious celebration in late Dec has been around much much longer including trees and merriment.