Trusted Contributor

Re: A252352 V-neck Porcelain Tunic

On 2/22/2014 ciley said:

2 posters on this thread are always carping about fabrics and how Louis's fabrics aren't good any more and how they only like/wear high end natural fabrics. It would be quite shocking indeed to find out these same people are wearing Liquid knit at home and can therefore compare it honestly to Louis's knit used in this top.

Um hm...Pretty transparent, isn't it?

P. Kaufman (and also P. Collins and even Waverly) all make all cotton, screen printed fabrics. As do Brunschwig&Fils, Scalamandre, and other high end To the Trade Only wholesale fabric houses. To say they are "just the same" or even "they are in the same family" is ridiculous. And demonstrates a lack of knowledge about textiles. Low end screen printed cottons can sell for as little as $7 per yard and those at the high end as much as $150 a yard wholesale.

To begin with, the cotton itself is not "the same". The artistry of the design is not "the same". The clarity of the dyes used is not "the same". The quality of the screens used is not "the same". The clarity of the registry of the screens on the textile is not "the same". The quality of the finishes used is not "the same". Even the quality of threads used to sew the finished product is not "the same".

To make blanket statements such as some make here is VERY misleading! And quite independent of whether or not you want to wear poly, which is another matter entirely.

Of course there are those who perhaps cannot discern the difference.

Frequent Contributor

On 2/21/2014 JustJazzmom said:
On 2/21/2014 KathyPet said: Liquid knit and this top are both over 90% poly and the rest spandex. I would imagine the feel would be very similar.

I haven't bought any of the Liquid Knit but have ordered the hydrangea, Pucci and animal print tops of LDO and they are great for travel (no wrinkles) and wash well. I hang them to dry on a hanger. I do have 2 Liquid Knit items on order.

I felt I needed some navy prints and ordered A239794 and A215097 in the navy giraffe pattern. I will let you know how they compare and feel once I receive them.

I also own the hydrangea and Pucci print tops; love them both. Have a SG liquid knit top on order and will report back when I receive it.

Valued Contributor

OMG I LOVE the Twig!!!

Respected Contributor

In the Summer of 2012, I bought this Liquid Knit SG Skirt in Tan to take to Provence and wore it with my Linea Animal Print Top and Matching Animal Print Jacket in Natural. So, I wore the two fabrics together and they are NOT the same, although I can't say that it wasn't comfortable. I wore the outfit on the plane from JFK to Marseilles through Madrid. The skirt was pilled around the rear and the hips by the time I arrived in France. It went into the trash when I got home.

I also "had" this SG Tank and Cardigan in Black and it was quite heavy and not at all "refreshing" like the Linea poly/span knits feel. I say "had" because I have no idea where those SG pieces are now---I think I already gave them to the Goodwill.

To say that the SG and Linea fabrics are close because they are both poly/span is like saying peas and carrots are close because they are both vegetables!

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Super Contributor

They are the same material. I have two of Louis's tops (hydrangea, and another print) and several of SG's liquid knit. The SG tops are a little more fluid. But these materials whatever the name are indeed the same.

Trusted Contributor

Actually to me these fabrics are like different varieties of apples. I like most apples and I like these two fabrics. I own several SG liquid knit tops and a skirt. I also own the Linea beautiful pink scroll status print top from some years ago as well as the top with layers of pearls printed on it. Can someone explain the controversy. Why are some of you resistant to admitting that these are similar?
Frequent Contributor

Jerseygirl1266, textiles are such a complicated business, particularly manmade textiles. In the natural world, something like 100% cashmere can vary immensely depending on the animal, how it is combed, how impurities are removed, how it is spun, woven, combined and produced. More processing, more waste = more expensive cashmere. There are even more degrees of control chemically producing a "polyester". You can make cheap polyester, or expensive polyester and the properties vary. That's before printing choices, etc. (Chemical engineer here.. sorry if it sounds like a lecture.. hazard of my training! )

Bottom line? What do you like to wear, what do you like to spend, etc. I've found this fabric of Louis's a fine example of a poly blend, with comfort, style, and wearability/longevity properties well worth the money. Some Graver stuff yes, some no. Sure they are similar, just not the same.

Enjoy whichever you wear, and if you really hate wearing poly blends, this won't be for you either!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks DebPA. I have items from both lines in these fabrics and like them. I have also sent back items from both lines in these fabrics as some styles fit better than others. I agree with you that they are very similar and that if you don't like one, chances are you won't like the other.
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/23/2014 Jerseygirl1266 said: Actually to me these fabrics are like different varieties of apples. I like most apples and I like these two fabrics. I own several SG liquid knit tops and a skirt. I also own the Linea beautiful pink scroll status print top from some years ago as well as the top with layers of pearls printed on it. Can someone explain the controversy. Why are some of you resistant to admitting that these are similar?
Ah, a shrink would have a wonderful time with that question!
Honored Contributor

On 2/23/2014 KathyPet said:
On 2/23/2014 Jerseygirl1266 said: Actually to me these fabrics are like different varieties of apples. I like most apples and I like these two fabrics. I own several SG liquid knit tops and a skirt. I also own the Linea beautiful pink scroll status print top from some years ago as well as the top with layers of pearls printed on it. Can someone explain the controversy. Why are some of you resistant to admitting that these are similar?
Ah, a shrink would have a wonderful time with that question!

Indeed!