Respected Contributor

Re: A slow-brewing fashion movement

On 9/15/2014 Skylands said:

It's fun to buy new, fresh designs. I used to always buy quality, but you get tired & bored with it and want something different. Prefer spending less and tossing.

Besides, it looks dated no matter the quality. Things change and then you're stuck with dated clothes. Cashmere sweaters change, shoes change, cut of pants, jackets.

Agree!

Esteemed Contributor

Sort of off topic...but it's about clothes.

I was out to a sporting event this weekend here in Seattle. The weather was awesome. But holy cow...when did Daisy Duke shorts become all the rage? I saw so many females from 12 to 70 (not kidding) wearing the shortest of shorts....in public. Mother's w/ their teen daughter's all wearing cheek baring shorts.

Yowza. Not sure why they didn't just wear bathing suits.

Anyhoo...not sure when those sort of shorts became 'fashionable'....I'm way out of it.

(and no...it wasn't that hot. and yes they get to wear what they want).

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

I hate thin, skimpy, disposable clothing. Often it looks cute, but doesn't last or is see-through.

On the other hand, I don't shop at Neiman's or Nordstrom's.

I shop mostly at Talbot's and Macy's (Jones New York, Ralph Lauren, Alfani). I think they're considered mid-range.

I hope these middle range retailers can survive and thrive. A "race to the bottom" in prices doesn't help anyone - retailers or shoppers or manufacturers or workers IMO.

Valued Contributor

read

Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Super Contributor

Sounds like uniformity...

Respected Contributor

I prefer better quality clothing. They say we only wear a small percentage of our wardrobe so I do not need a lot.

When I shopped at QVC I bought multiples of items in different colors. I bet I didn't wear more than half of it.

Respected Contributor

Quality clothing doesn't have to be boring.

Super Contributor

I am willing to spend more on pieces I know I will wear for a few years or that are hard to get the fit right. Jeans and pants I buy from Ann Taylor Loft. Most of my tops & dresses are Old Navy. Sure, they won't last long, but I am not one to wear the same clothes year after year anyway.
Super Contributor

On 9/15/2014 kate2357 said:

Not sure if the quality over qty will make great headway among the youngest of shoppers. But I do think that more folks I know are looking at quality, sustainability, country of origin, employment practices...etc when making shopping decisions.

Started w/ food...moving towards other items...like furniture and fashions. May take awhile...but I do think buying w/ a conscious could catch on. :::shrug::: maybe not. But cheap clothes are not my thing...never really have been since maybe high school.

Hey...I like a deal as much as the next person. But that $5 tshirt at such and such store...do any of us really think that item is going to hold up for more than a few months? If they're selling it for $5...they didn't spend more than $2 on it. So you have the cost of the material...how much money did the person who made that tshirt get paid? Pennies.

So...yeah, I like a deal. I like clothes. But at this point in my life...I want to buy fashion that is fairly priced, is not going to be out of fashion a year from now...and I don't want to buy something made by some poor person who is stuck in a fire hazard building.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Thanks for a very thought-provoking post- ITA!

Trusted Contributor

I pretty much agree with Skylands that most styles can look dated in time and I also become bored wearing the same item after a time, then feel guilty giving it to the Goodwill if I paid a lot for it. However, items like pencil skirts, scarves and other building block basics, I buy high quality and don't mind spending on. I don't like cheap clothing, especially fabrics, but with the trendier items I do try to spend less.