Respected Contributor

Re: A slow-brewing fashion movement

LOL ""nice"" dresses have to cost at least $200? The things you learn on these boards!

What worries you masters you.
Super Contributor

On 9/16/2014 ical said:

One has to wonder, deeply, with projection in mind, why future "fashion" trends are in the Wall Street Journal.

Durable goods. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

WSJ routinely has pieces on consumer spending and retail stuff.

Super Contributor

On 9/16/2014 imaclotheshog said:
On 9/16/2014 ical said:

One has to wonder, deeply, with projection in mind, why future "fashion" trends are in the Wall Street Journal.

Durable goods. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

WSJ routinely has pieces on consumer spending and retail stuff.

It's the other things they have which fills in the story "trend".

Honored Contributor

On 9/15/2014 Debbie1426 said:
On 9/15/2014 chrystaltree said:

I think we will never go back to having "two good dresses" and one "good black skirt" in our closet and feeling good about it.....lol

I agree and maybe 2 dresses and one skirt is a stretch, but I would much rather have one good skirt that 4 disposable ones.

Actually, I currently have about 6 dresses in my closet because a friend lost weight and I lost weight. i was now her old size so she gave me 3 dresses that she could no longer wear, and I bought 3 over the summer. Other wise I have a navy skirt , a black skirt and a grey skirt. I have dress pants in black, navy and grey. I wear them on those occasions when I need to be more dressed up like church or to go out for a special dinner and with various nice tops I find they are all i need. Since my other clothes are now too big I am getting along just fine with just these.

Super Contributor

Nothing new about THAT concept, lol.......Id rather have some choices in my closet. They don't all have to be haute couture ..

Frequent Contributor

For certain things I like to focus on quality over price. A nice coat in a timeless style is more of an investment piece to wear season after season, so I don't mind spending a little more on an item like that. I also wouldn't mind spending a little extra to get it tailored to fit exactly. I wouldn't want to spend a whole lot for certain things that are very trendy, or I know I'll only wear for a season and then toss. Sometimes you just need quantity over quality to mix up your look and stay on trend, and then pair it with a really great expensive bag/coat to really class up your style.

Respected Contributor

Bargain shoppers can have their cake and eat it, too. I wouldn't be able to buy my clothes if I paid full price, but I get most of them for a song. I've accumulated a lovely collection of winter coats by shopping for them in the late spring and summer. I've gotten a couple of $150 coats for $20. Last year's find was a $250 baby-blue mohair blend for $50. On HSN this year, I've paid $7.50 to $20 for items that were originally $60-$90. This includes two Marla Wynne shirts that can be used for business that cost $11, down from $70 each. Since I buy classic styles only and nothing trendy, they never go out of style. I have about 150 "favorites" on HSN. If the price of one goes low enough, I'll buy it.

I agree with the poster who pointed out how much inflation we've had in recent years and how that's affected the number of items people buy.

Respected Contributor

I have always purchased quality clothing, handbags, accessories, clothing for my children, etc., This is why I don't buy clothing from the Q(with the exception of a few items from Joe Zee, Linea, Isaac.., and, even then, I return due to lack of quality). I don't feel that the quality is there; cheaper fabrics, etc... Far too many retailers are offering "throw away clothing"; Kmart, Target, Forever 21, H&M, Walmart, Old Navy, Kohl's & QVC; D&C, etc...I would much prefer to spend more money & fewer items of clothing in exchange for nice fabric and workmanship. Would never in a zillion yrs purchase shoes from a PayLess, Kohl's, etc...YOu get what you pay for!

I would much prefer to own 2 classic DVF wrap dresses and wear them to death than I would to own 10 dresses from a cheap store.

I would much rather own a few classic cashmere sweaters than to own many others...

This is nothing new- I was raised this way- My mother shopped at Saks and used only high quality make-up. She bought high-end good quality shoes. She is not & was never pretentious in any way. She understands fine quality. All of her friends wore quality items. I think things were made better then also- We didn't have the cheapo stores like Walmart, Kohl's, H&M, Forever v21 (horrid clothing btw).

With that said, I don't think it's necessary to buy a handbag costing $2000+- I find that to be just frivolous and silly. It has nothing to do with how much money you have. IT's about values. YOu can buy a very good, high-end bag for several hundred dollars. I don't prefer cheapo bags but love a good sale (:

Super Contributor

I buy the best I can afford. I really dislike cheap looking clothes. One reason is that all clothes look good when purchased, but laundering take the toll on cheap clothes. I can always spot Target shirt after a few cycles. The times I have bought cheap I have regretted it I wore out a Sears shirt (thought it was a steal in the clearance rack) in less than a year, and dumped it at the airport when my luggage was heavy. So I have learned not to go for cheap. I majored in Clothing and Textiles so I am snob about fabrics.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

This thread reminds me of the book, "Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris."

I purchase the best quality I can afford on the basics/classics and I usually buy them in black or neutral colors. For items that are more of a fashion trend or items that are vivid/non neutral colors, I'm not a big spender, as I'm not as willing to make the same investment.