Honored Contributor

A question about Bob Mackies fit

I would like to order a Bob Mackie jacket.  I get my jackets and coats a size or two large because of wearing heavier or layers in the winter and I cant tolerate tight fitting outer wear.

Does his jackets run larger or small or true to size?  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Re: A question about Bob Mackies fit

I have only ever ordered one thing from BM, and it was years ago.  It was a pair of dress pants and they ran absolutely huge.

I hope someone who has purchased something more recently can offer you better advice.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie  As I recall from the jacket I ordered years ago, his clothes tend to run a bit on the larger side similar, at least for me, to QF, D&C and SG where I always seem to size down from my usual size.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have two of his light-weight (97% cotton) fitted (princess-seamed) jackets in XXS, and they fit like a glove.  To compare these to his other clothes.... I have on cardigan, which has a much looser fit, and one knit top that is even larger (I almost sent it back).  All are XXS, and all were purchased based on the actual garment measurements shown.  As for the jackets and cardigans, I live in Florida and only wear light-weight tops under them.  HTH!

ETA... These are three of the four pieces....   I LOVE the fit of the jackets, but would be reluctant to buy tops and sweaters again, based on the fit.  

No Image Found

No Image Found

No Image Found

Contributor

I would say they are generous

Honored Contributor

I've had some inconsistent sizing with him as I have had with other designers.  

It's best to use QVC's size chart for each item because they change.  For example:  Two similarly styled t-shirts by the same designer may have different measurements, enough to make it fit too large or small.  Two of the same t-shirts, same size, different colors may have different measurements.  

One poster here said she read when Chinese manufacturing companies run out of the right size labels, they sew on what they have left even though the size is wrong.  That helps explain what I have been experiencing.  

It's been a hit or miss with me.  

Honored Contributor

If you are buying a coat or jacket and wear more than a tank underneath I would go up one size. Down size for his pants...but it all depends on the cut. I ordered the black gauchos recently....I think they were on clearance...went down one size...plenty big but I love them....very updated...have worn them twice and both times had compliments. Am surprised they have not sold out.

Honored Contributor

I have about 8 of Bob's fleece coats and find they run very generous, although they re not hugely over-sized.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I would like to order a Bob Mackie jacket.  I get my jackets and coats a size or two large because of wearing heavier or layers in the winter and I cant tolerate tight fitting outer wear.

Does his jackets run larger or small or true to size?  Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks

@Imaoldhippie 

Different jackets in different styles will fit differently. I always use the garment measurements (on every single item) to decide on the size to order. 

Honored Contributor

The sizing on all Mackie clothing is what I would call generous.  Not oversized but if you are between sizes, you are safe in going with the smaller size.