Honored Contributor

Re: A humbling and eye-opening experience

You should add pictures of your ""new"" wardrobe on the Fashion Resolutions thread!

Respected Contributor

Congratulations on your weight loss! Yes, I too have way more of everything but I'm trying to learn not to spend as much as I have in the past. The funny thing is, I keep wearing the same few things.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your weight loss! I dropped ~20 lbs over the past few years. Even a small amount makes a difference, so I'm sure you REALLY feel it. I know the willpower and restraint that goes into it, so I wish you luck in continuing to keep it off and sticking with a healthy lifestyle!

I've made a serious dent in purging clothes for about three years now, since I retired. It's pretty bad to accumulate and not even realize what you have! Like shopping your own closet, as you said, discovering things you forgot about it. Things don't even get into the rotation, there can be so much! There's almost this anxiety that you feel when you realize this; downsizing here can bring a much lighter feeling and increased peace of mind. I've made many huge donations to different charities, and I will continue to do so. It makes me feel good that someone will benefit who is in need. This includes shoes, handbags, scarves, jewelry, and many more things. I also, like you, need to think twice before buying now.

It's ironic that your post had references to both food and clothing. When you think of it, it's the same restraint that goes into dealing with each of them! Smile

Esteemed Contributor

Congratulations on Your Weight Loss! That's quite an accomplishment. And kudos for purging your closet.

I remember when I cleaned out my closets after I retired -- it was painful to put all those ""dressy"" clothes in big bags. I'd put a lot of time and effort into buying timeless pieces for what I thought was a perfect corporate wardrobe. It was like tossing a part of my life! But it felt soooo good donating those bags of clothes.

And now our closet is practically empty! Joyous!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Congrats to the OP on her weight loss! And to cleaning out her closet! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I really desperately need to do what you've done!

This has been on my to-do list for a long time, even though I don't have a drastic weight loss to be proud of. In fact, my weight has increased just enough over the years so that some things I really still love, I can't wear. And henny, almost every single thing you've said applies to me and what I need to do, but unfortunately my sister doesn't need my clothes nor would they fit her anyway.

I bought dozens and dozens of huggable hangers with the vision of how beautiful, organized and cleaned out my closets would be! But that has yet to happen. I have lots of really "classic" clothes that are from my working life and still like new, and they never go out of style, I just don't need them any more. But like you, I hate to just toss them or sell them for $1.00 at a yard sale - they're just too nice! So I've at least started sorting things out, I just have to decide how to get them out of my house, consignment shop, donate?

I want to be where henny is in her last sentence... "The feeling is like being liberated from a lot of excess baggage! I love it!!" {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

ETA: I think what tototwo said is part of my problem in getting this done: "I remember when I cleaned out my closets after I retired -- it was painful to put all those "dressy" clothes in big bags. I'd put a lot of time and effort into buying timeless pieces for what I thought was a perfect corporate wardrobe. It was like tossing a part of my life!"

Esteemed Contributor

I'll add to the congratulations. Smile

I recently retired and cleaned out my closets. I donated a lot to The Salvation Army. It made me realize I'd accumulated way too much. It felt good to lighten the load. Having things can feel like a burden at times (where to store it, keeping up with it, etc.).

I remember when I first got married and had very little. I spent years working and accumulating things; now I don't want/need much of it. I like the idea of returning to less. Life seems to work like that, going full circle, starting back where we began.

Respected Contributor

Good for you grzbela! You go girl! I did the same as you about a month ago and what a revelation it was....a real lightbulb moment. I even had DH make me a BIG ""SHOP YOUR CLOSET FIRST!"" sign and I have it right on the front of my closet door. When I see something I ""gotta have"" I go see what I already have (and sometimes still have tags on...my bad). It works 99% of the time. When it doesn't I now shop for something I saw and liked on ebay. Get it for way less $$$ and usually still has the tags on (from another tv shopper who never got around to wearing it). And congrats on the weight loss!

Honored Contributor

Great job. I so desperately need to do this. I'm tired of listening to myself talk about doing it.
Frequent Contributor

Wow! I am humbled and overwhelmed by the great response and support! Thank you so much! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. At times, these boards have mean-spirited comments, and yet I have found such a caring and supportive community with this posting.

In all of the times I have done a closet cleaning, I have never regretted my choices or missed the things I have let go. This by far has been the most extensive, and if I hit my weight goal, there will be another to look forward to!

I have felt so upset at gaining the weight in the first place but now feel better that I am working back to my former healthy, fit self.

My mother retired a few years ago and I think has had the emotional challenge of letting go of a work wardrobe, and she has some physical limitations. So, yesterday I called and asked if I could come and clean out her closet, and she agreed. So, hopefully this will help her and the people that receive her clothing.

Thank you again.

PS. It does feel "lighter" to clean these things out...now, perhaps I will tackle my make-up drawer...

Super Contributor

Hi Grzbela. I'm a long-time lurker, but your post spoke to me and I wanted to respond. I, too, want to simplify my wardrobe, but unfortunately I love clothes! So, I keep buying. Mindlessly. I would love to get to the point where I can just say enough is enough. Sounds like you are on the right track and I'll have to follow your example. Good luck in your journey!