Trusted Contributor

Re: A first , QVC made me cry.

I didn't see the show so I don't really have an opinion on that statement.  But generally speaking, I'm tired of all the personal anecdotes.  

Remember the "old" days when the hosts with the evening hours were the best at describing a product?  I think it was when Lisa Robertson started working evenings that the host became a celebrity and the product came second.  

I wonder how sales would compare.  At that time I don't remember that there was ever a host I refused to watch because I found them annoying.  Now I have a list so long that I almost never watch.  Basically, the more down to earth hosts that I like are on during the day when I can't watch.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some here tend to think that all we have to do in life is to love and appreciate ourselves no matter who we are or who we look like.

That's all fine and dandy except for those people who, because of their different race or ethnicity, can't just overcome what is thrown at them by looking in the mirror and repeating a cliche.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Persian is a euphenism (sp) for Iranian.

@Group 5 minus 1 ,

Perhaps you misused the word euphemism.

Persians are an ethnic group in Iran.  The word Persian is an identifier of that group of people. Not an euphemism for Iran.

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Persian is a euphenism (sp) for Iranian.

@Group 5 minus 1 

iranians dont mind being called persians. in fact, many these days prefer it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I don’t need the items described to me. Checking the app for the item specs is far more efficient. I buy when there’s a personal connection to the item. Sometimes the hosts create that connection with a personal anecdote. I don’t watch QVC just to shop. Again, the app is more efficient for that. I watch to be entertained a little. Having Mary Beth drone on to give me measurements and colors doesn’t motivate me to drop $80 on jeans.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Some here tend to think that all we have to in life is to love and appreciate ourselves no matter who we are or who we look like.

That's all fine and dandy except for those people who, because of their different race or ethnicity, can't just overcome what is thrown at them by looking in the mirror and repeating a cliche.

The character inside each of us and our individual talents  are important ...... There are many examples of people who have played an important part in our society that didnt let their economic start in life, race, or culture stop them from achieving lofty goals or making a difference for themselves and others....its what you make out of life through hard work, education, determination, and self worth!!!  Playing a VICTIM and boo hooing because life dealt you a bad hand only gets you depression and pain and a pitiful life...!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

No, but many Persians resent being called Iranians.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

No, but many Persians resent being called Iranians.

@Group 5 minus 1 

Thats true ..... the people I work with from this culture do tend to use Persian in describing themselves is to differentiate themselves from a political identity and go with Persian that is more associated with their long time culture and customs.... At least thats what theyve told me....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Some here tend to think that all we have to in life is to love and appreciate ourselves no matter who we are or who we look like.

The character inside each of us and our individual talents  are important ...... There are many examples of people who have played an important part in our society that didnt let their economic start in life, race, or culture stop them from achieving lofty goals or making a difference for themselves and others....its what you make out of life through hard work, education, determination, and self worth!!!  Playing a VICTIM and boo hooing because life dealt you a bad hand only gets you depression and pain and a pitiful life...!!! 

I don't see the person in question "boo hooing" about being handed a hard life.

I see a message of encouragement for all those who may feel like an outsider because of ethnicity or appearance or economic status etc etc.  

What in the world is wrong with people using life experiences as a teaching tool?

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I don't see the person in question "boo hooing" about being handed a hard life.

I see a message of encouragement for all those who may feel like an outsider because of ethnicity or appearance or economic status etc etc.  

What in the world is wrong with people using life experiences as a teaching tool?

@Ms tyrion2 

I was more addressing Suzy Q's comments about "not able to overcome whats thrown to them "...many people have.....