Honored Contributor

Re: A first , QVC made me cry.

[ Edited ]

@MW in Iowa wrote:

Yes it just a shopping channel , but she is a human being that shared a less than a minute feeling about herself how finding something you love can change your whole attitude about life. Wasnt about being a minority , it could be something else for another person , being over weight or any thing that makes a person feel less than adequate inside , even if it is only in your own mind.

@MW in Iowa   The same point could have been made without sharing her so personal experiences. I felt somewhat uncomfortable for her. We don't need to know everything about a host. 

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

We are all different in one way or another.   It's when you start to compare yourself and judge yourself in comparison that it becomes your problem.  If we are taught to accept ourselves for who we are and find our talent and share that, then we'd all be happier.

@rms1954   Very well said.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

We are all different in one way or another.   It's when you start to compare yourself and judge yourself in comparison that it becomes your problem.  If we are taught to accept ourselves for who we are and find our talent and share that, then we'd all be happier.

@rms1954   Very well said.

@Shanus 

@rms1954 

Perhaps in a utopia world, but that's not how the real world works.  Representation matters.  You can feel 100% confident in your skin & identity, and still be judged terribly one way or the other by others.  That emotional beatdown is meant to be debilitating and to keep you feeling less.  Imagine telling a kid, "that's your problem."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my family moved south from NY in the early 50's, there were 2 Jewish kids in my school. We were dark haired in a sea of blondes w/ blue eyes. Most had never seen a Jewish person. I didn't feel different. I felt special. It's all in your perception which is taught by your parents. Self acceptance stays with you for a lifetime no matter if weight changes, height differs or physical impairments/limitations occur. No announcements or excuses need to be made. We are who we are. The outside of people have become way more important than their hearts. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Courtney's share. If you're not confident inside yourself, clothes and makeup aren't the answer. You need to look a lot deeper. 

Honored Contributor

I'd like to know where all these blonde/blue eye people are, besides MN  When I look around anywhere in the US, most people have brown hair and brown eyes. It is the most common combination here.

Natural red and blonde hair is not common at all and scientists are claiming these recessive traits will become extinct. 

Honored Contributor

@MW in Iowa wrote:

I caught the opening of Kourtney's new show , and she talked about growing up in an area that she didn't see any one that looked like her, being Persian  and when she found fashion it changed her whole outlook on life. We take for granite when we are the majority. Any way i was really moved.

@MW in Iowa 

thank you for sharing how you felt when she spoke. it is interesting when a strangers words can touch us in some way, especially since no two people can have an experience and take it in exactly the same way.

i would like to see the moment......was she presenting a particular item?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I'd like to know where all these blonde/blue eye people are, besides MN  When I look around anywhere in the US, most people have brown hair and brown eyes. It is the most common combination here.

Natural red and blonde hair is not common at all and scientists are claiming these recessive traits will become extinct. 

@Carmie   When you allow yourself to feel different, the number of "others" may seem magnified.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   I am very different looking. Very few people look like me.

I had black hair and extremely light cool bright blue eyes.  My hair is salt and pepper now.

All of my life people have stared at me and invited others to " look at her eyes". They even did this to me when I was a toddler. My blue eyes glow, especially against my very pale skin color with dark hair.

My husband gets upset at people when they do this and get very close to me to look, 

but I am used to it.  When we traveled to Asia ( more than once) I was bombarded with onlookers.

It's no big deal to look different when everything normal except for your unusual hair, eye or skin coloring.

Super Contributor

Racist???? Really??? Look up the real meaning of racism. I guess it's the word of this decade too to stop an argument. I see it continues. . . bummer. Can't have an intelligent discussion without someone trying to derail it. Happy Sunday 😞