Honored Contributor

Re: A first , QVC made me cry.

We are all different in one way or another.   It's when you start to compare yourself and judge yourself in comparison that it becomes your problem.  If we are taught to accept ourselves for who we are and find our talent and share that, then we'd all be happier.

Contributor

@Leggett28 wrote:

@Curlstotame  Your post is beautiful 😊

Thank you.  

Honored Contributor

This maybe totally different.  However, a few of the posts reminded me of something I’ve thought about often.

One of my granddaughters was walking with me leaving a McDonalds at the age of 8 years old.  She’d just been to a birthday party and was wearing a pretty little dress. I could tell she was very proud of how pretty she looked.

As I held open the door, another young girl walked past us.  She was wearing a pretty dress too.

My granddaughter stopped in the parking lot and started crying, “Grandmom!  That girl’s dress is prettier than mine”.

I got her into the car and said, “Lindsey, there will always be someone whom you will think is prettier, dressed prettier, smarter, everything more than you.  As long as you compare yourself to others you’ll never be happy.”

You know, she remembers that conversation.  She has told me more than once she’s remembered that ‘talk’ and she realizes I’m right.  Score 1 for the old grandma.

But seriously, if you can lead your life only competing with yourself, you’ll be a happier person.

Like I said, I don’t know if it fits here but in my mind it does.

I lived in a neighborhood that became another color.  We all have stories to tell in life.  What we do and the kind of people it makes us is the real story...not ( in my opinion) the incident itself.

I’ve always enjoyed Courtney’s presentations.  I watched her move from night to days.  I guess she felt the need to relay this information to her audience.

Let’s be fair people.  She may have been advised to be more personable.  Maybe she decided this was a way to present herself separate from Shawn.  I say that simply because..generally, up until this show she’s been a sidekick to Shawn.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm a minority woman and I thought her comment about her ethnicity was out of line, imo...has nothing to do with fashion.

Oh really? Did you not know that Diane Von Furstenberg ?(spelling.) when challenged said “ I don’t design for Black Women” ?  Designers fashion clothing, pants in particular, to fit a standard European derrière. They acknowledge that a narrower hip width and, often, a more ample posterior, is characteristic of a broader range of ethnicities and choose to exclude those dimensions from their repertoire.  So while this was not the focus of courtney’s  heartfelt comment, the validity of her feeling of exclusion in her community resonated with some of us on an even deeper level and it has everything “to do with fashion”

This young woman is talented, enthusiastic, genuine.  I applaud her spirited personna.

Respected Contributor

Good grief...growing up everyone feels that they aren't good enough & they don't fit in. 

Honored Contributor

Being Middle Eastern in the United States comes with its own host of unique issues; none of which have anything to do with how the individual feels about themself

Regular Contributor

It was her experience. So what?
Broadcast QVC is obviously personality driven. Look at all the programs with hosts' names in the titles. Hosts comments are part of the sell. If the expression of a personal thought or experience is so upsetting to viewers then go online and look up items of interest. No personalities to deal with. Just the products themselves. Less ugly comments to read on this forum.
Valued Contributor

i didn't watch, but is there no end to the tactics that one will try.
everybody, including identical twins are different.

what values were instilled?

fashion isn't a value and it definitely doesn't make one a better person or more watchable. hard work and being kind to others are values.

is the "trend" for 2020, that everybody gets a show with their name in it?

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think this thread needs to get gone.

Why?

Because this thread contains racist comments and also contains comments which are discriminatory in nature.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up a blond in a houseful of dark hair, dark eyes and dark skin.  I was made to feel like the ugly duckling.  I was short and all the others were tall.  My mother was beautiful albeit short, blond and Irish, but not as short as I. 

I looked more like her siblings who were not gorgeous.  My father was tall, dark and handsome and movie star quality.  My tall siblings look like him and some of my children do and others look like their handsome father's family.  I was always referred to as the different one because of that.  It was not said that way but I got it.  I knew it.  So, blonds have always been outcasts in this society until Marilyn Monroe, and then along came Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, Ava Gardner.  Trust me, blonds have been referred to as promiscuous outcasts, dumb sex toys since the beginning of civilization.  I never whined about it.  I just showed them that I was as capable intellectually.

I am not going to whine about it to my associates and friends.  I might mention here that I am short and blond, and fair complexioned because we discuss it here, not that I have to mention it. 

I now live in, and always have, lived a world of people who are tan, dark-haired and brown-eyed and look on me as a pariah because of my size and coloring, Goodness, Molly.  What next?  Has this become the Phil Donahue or Okrah Show?