Contributor

Re: A discussion for plus size fashionistas

I love Universal Standard (not the same as the Target line Universal Thread).  They have fabrics that are equal to what I get with Eileen Fisher Plus.  They also have clothing recycling like Eileen Fisher, but the best thing, is if you change sizes and they still offer that piece, they will send you a new piece in your new size!  

Trusted Contributor

@Andreatoo I love the designs; very fresh. I would get compliments whenever I wore her items and when in Europe....I would see similar designs in the windows of non-chain shops. VERY well made.

The prices are up there, sadly. Still, if looking for a well made piece to add to your wardrobe that will last for years to come and you're a plus size, you can't beat her line. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

Have you checked out Good American at Nordstrom?

GOOD AMERICAN Side Slit Two-Tone Blazer, Main, color, SAGE

Their "7" fits like a 26W.
GOOD AMERICAN Camo Snap Front Jacket, Main, color, SAGE LEOPARD 001

Honored Contributor

This dress at Kohl's is on clearance for $19.60, in a 5X in two colors-

"East Adeline by Dia&Co."

Honored Contributor

That brand at Kohl's has quite a few sale pieces up to a 5X.

Plus Size East Adeline by Dia&Co Keyhole Dress

Plus Size East Adeline by Dia&Co Denim Jacket

Honored Contributor

Check out the Leota brand at Nordstrom Rack.  They have a few sale pieces that you might like.

Image of Leota Celine Striped Wrap Blouse

Image of Leota Carly Fit & Flare Dress

Image of Leota Samantha Smocked Sleeveless Midi Dress

Image of Leota Amiya Dotted Midi Dress

Valued Contributor

Re: I Re: A discussion for plus size fashionistas

@Andreatoo wrote:

I've asked a plus sized friend of mine this but I'll ask you too:

Why do you only shop at plus exclusive shops? While not all retailers have a full line of plus sizes there are those that do.

I just checked a couple of my favorite stores. I don't know your size but I noted that Ann Taylor seems to go up to 18 (xxl) and Banana Republic 20 (xxl). Those do seem more limited but don't most department stores carry extended plus sizes? i.e, Nordstrom, Macy's etc.

just curious...

Well, if we shop at a plus size store, everything in that store has potential. If we shop in a a department store, only some some lines carry plus sizes and some only go up to 1x. So finding what you want is harder. 

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:
There's no shortage of plus size clothing retailers and all of it isn't cheaply as some people seem to think. Most upscale stores like Neiman Marcus sell plus size bridge and designer clothes. Online and in the stores. Many retailers are going out of business or selling exclusively online now. It's where retail is going now. I'm an 18/20 and I can find anything and everything my size 6 sisters buy at any price point. It's great time for plus size shoppers.

Size 18/20 is usually considered a Missy XL or sometimes a 1X Plus size.  Look for sizes 2x and 3x and you'll realize what we are talking about.....a completely different ballgame than a Missy XL.

I wouldn't be complaining if there wasn't a "shortage" of plus size retailers.  I know...my fault...I should go on a diet and get down to an XL and then "poof" no more problem!

Trusted Contributor

It bugs me, too, that most retailers and catalogs charge more for plus sizes BECAUSE none of them charge less for petite sizes.

And, just to be clear.  Yes, I can find plus size clothing...I'm not running around naked.  I am just commenting on the fact that plus sizes are quite limited compared to regular sizes in retail.

I am very grateful to QVC, which is where I purchase 80% of my clothing.

I think petite sizers have the same problem as plus sizers do as to limited availability, but at least they don't have to pay more.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DottieBlue 

I'd like to think that we all know it's not as simple as that, taking the weight off, and that it's truly a struggle.

I wish you the best in what you do but do it for yourself and no one else