Frequent Contributor

A breath of fresh air ! We are seeing more products of .....

genuine good quality made in India, all over. Clothes,jewelry, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A breath of fresh air ! We are seeing more products of .....

@Peppu wrote:

@Peppu  .... are you kidding me .... I want to see MADE IN AMERICA items ... not made in India!!!👎👎👎

Honored Contributor

My wish is for clothing made in the United States; however, at this time we don't have full capability  since most of our manufacturers abandoned us when they moved to China.

However, in the interim and it might be longer than hoped, I'm pleased to see some have moved from China to India, Indonesia, Guatemala, and other countries.

Those items I purchased from QVC made in India and Indonesia were higher quality and consistently sized.  Only time will tell.  

Honored Contributor

@January121 wrote:

@Peppu wrote:

@Peppu  .... are you kidding me .... I want to see MADE IN AMERICA items ... not made in India!!!👎👎👎

The U.S. is no longer a manufacturing country. We do need to restart it but it'll take time and changes to our tax laws, such as tax penalties when businesses move production overseas.

We want other countries to buy from us so we have to buy from them. They will find other places to buy things if we don't, just like many countries did when tariffs were increased a couple of years ago. For example, farmers haven't recovered from those losses and won't for a long time after tariffs are lowered back to normal.

Honored Contributor

This country used to be self sufficient, we manufactured everything here.  But consumers wanted cheaper prices and workers wanted bigger wages and top of the line benefits, manufacturing left for foreign countries.  Therefore, cheaper prices but also cheaper goods of all kinds.  

This caused job losses, and made our country depend on a lot of 3rd world countries.  Which in my opinion is not a good thing.

So the consumer got what they wanted, cheap prices, but a disastrous cost.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart   We are not nearly as far behind as a manufacturing country as the manufacturing of clothing makes us think we are.

It’s worth Googling to read where we stand in the world and to see what affects the business decisions.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I read in business journal that we are delaying production of several new car styles due to a shortage of computer chips.

Would love to hear What Henry Ford would say.

@Imaoldhippie 

ITA.  We are still providing ’stimulents’ to farmers to help overcome the losses due to tariff increases a few years ago.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Re: India.....

I'd love to see some real all cotton, plaid madras shirts from India!   

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately,  fast fashion has a grip on this country.  Many bloggers show their shopping from these stores.

If you would like to know more, look up Justine Leconte, who is a Parsons School of Fashion with Tim Gunn.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@CalminHeart   We are not nearly as far behind as a manufacturing country as the manufacturing of clothing makes us think we are.

It’s worth Googling to read where we stand in the world and to see what affects the business decisions.

Most reputable sites say the United States exports 12% of its products other countries and it's equal to just 18% of the world's capacity. Japan exports 18%. China exports 19%.  I'd say 12% is pretty darned low....and I question its accuracy given other countries went elsewhere for meat, corn, and lots of other products due to tariffs.