Honored Contributor

I ordered the Denim and Co essentials petite short sleeve maxi dress for my Mom. She's about 5'4" at the most, the length on this dress is 50". She tried it on and it is much too long on her. She is 81 so she does not wear heels. Plus it was just too big on her, she would need a small and I ordered a medium.

I am 5'10" and I tried it on and I am keeping it. So that gives you an idea of the length. Mary Beth presented it on St Patrick's Day and wore the regular length, she must have had fairly high heels on. It is a cute dress, modest v neck and has some spandex.

My Mom would need at least two inches hemmed off this dress. Does anyone know a good source for true petite maxi dresses or skirts? She had one from the Talbots outlet and gave it to me after she lost weight due to a thyroid illness. It needs to be safe for her if she has stairs to do at church, etc.

I have looked online with little luck. And of course they are all sleeveless, she would wear something over that. Even short sleeves she would, she does not show her arms.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Contributor

I'm 5" 2 now that I've gotten older and I find that the Lands End dresses work well as do the Talbots but you still have to have a shrug or shawl.

BTW - I am always annoyed at the petite hosts who talk about things working for all body shapes.  They are usually wearing stilletos which radically changes proportions!!

Super Contributor
I am 5'2", 61, and bought a maxi for the first time last summer...the Quacker Factory maxi...there are four color options with just the right amount of bling...I am not a full blown blinged out type of gal. It is sleeveless, but I wear a shrug, jacket or sweater over it. Don't know the item # but use the website search engine and you can find it. It was just on the other night.
Respected Contributor

Re: A True Petite Maxi

[ Edited ]

I'm 82 and about 5'1" on a good day.  I recently ordered a D&C

maxi dress -  v neck with short sleeves - in petite medium. It fits me beautifully, including the length, which is just above my shoes  Wondering if your dress was mis-marked as petite. I know that at times I've gotten something that was supposed to be petite and too long. Usually it's because it's not really a petite, but a regular. You might check that out if you haven't already done so.  What was the item number you ordered? I'll check it against mine if its the same. Good luck.

Super Contributor
Denim and Co has an Essential solid midi dress and a
Tropical print dress that is midi length. I'm 5' and
they are a nice length for me.
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I ordered the Denim and Co essentials petite short sleeve maxi dress for my Mom. She's about 5'4" at the most, the length on this dress is 50". She tried it on and it is much too long on her. She is 81 so she does not wear heels. Plus it was just too big on her, she would need a small and I ordered a medium.

I am 5'10" and I tried it on and I am keeping it. So that gives you an idea of the length. Mary Beth presented it on St Patrick's Day and wore the regular length, she must have had fairly high heels on. It is a cute dress, modest v neck and has some spandex.

My Mom would need at least two inches hemmed off this dress. Does anyone know a good source for true petite maxi dresses or skirts? She had one from the Talbots outlet and gave it to me after she lost weight due to a thyroid illness. It needs to be safe for her if she has stairs to do at church, etc.

I have looked online with little luck. And of course they are all sleeveless, she would wear something over that. Even short sleeves she would, she does not show her arms.

I would tell you to look at Kohl's until I read the sleeve part.  I have tried on their petite maxis and the fit is good.

I don't think there are any with a sleeve but I haven't looked this year.

Try HSN  Iman and the other vendor that does a long dress with the waist thing (I can't remember her name) they have both done long dresses with sleeves and offer petite sizing, of course shopping channel sizes and real world sizes are 2 different things 

Soft Surroundings?  more expensive but the have the sizes 

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone. The Denim and Co midi dress might be an option. Or any midi dress. In general maxis with any kind of sleeves are unicorns. I look for them for me so I know that.

She has one petite maxi skirt that I got for her a few years ago at Macys. Thankfully it still fits her. Skirts are good because she can wear a long or 3/4 sleeve t with it.

@Perkup Thank you, that's  so nice of you. It's A251639. When she tried the dress on she just thought it was too long, even though it probably did fall just above her shoes. I did too, mostly because of safety worries. Midi would be safer. My Mom is pretty stylish, she wears J Lo jeans! She looks so cute in them too.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21

Terra Nova Print Dress, Ranch Blue, large

DETAILS & FIT
  • Three-quarter sleeves
  • Slightly shaped fit
  • Hits above the ankle
  • Misses about 51" length; Petites 49"; Women's 52"
FABRIC & CARE
  • Woven rayon challis
  • Machine wash
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

The latest fashion forecast? Breezy, with a chance of flirtatious charm. This flowing, unlined dress, lightweight and soft to the touch, captures your free-spirited sense of style in complementary graphic tile prints. Pearly hook-and-loop buttons, a shirred empire waist and elastic-cuff sleeves. Imported.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

Feel as carefree as the day is long in this updated favorite. Slipping into this ultra-easy dress makes everything seem simpler, from morning meetings to Saturday shopping – and everything in between. Made of the finest American-grown Supima cotton with its superb softness and color retention, it flows effortlessly from a gathered empire waist, complete with side pockets because we know you love them! Imported.

DETAILS & FIT
  • Three-quarter sleeves
  • Easy fit
  • Hits above ankle
  • Misses about 52" length; Petites 49"; Women's 52"
FABRIC & CARE
  • Supima® cotton interlock
  • Machine wash
Honored Contributor

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

Where city squares meet country flair, in a relaxed and casual silhouette that lets you take the day at your own pace. Invitingly soft to the touch in lightly brushed rayon, this shirtdress features a shirred empire waist that loosely camouflages curves and gives you plenty of room to move. Full button front, button cuffs; side-seam pockets. Imported.

DETAILS & FIT
  • Long sleeves
  • Relaxed fit
  • Hits low calf
  • Misses about 48" length; Petites 45"; Women's 49"
FABRIC & CARE
  • Woven rayon
  • Machine wash