Honored Contributor

Re: A.M. Style Live Chat, 7:00, 7/2

more hideous lounge stuff

Esteemed Contributor

Good morning, Style Sisters ...

Glad to see you back @lolakimono ... can't wait to hear all the news! 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono Congratulations on your new job! That is a big loss for the students and school, but good for you 👍

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

In addition to teaching, some of you know that I was also responsible for exterminating the mice in my classroom.

Students had to eat in the classroom due to the Covid protocols of not having 2,000 + students together in the cafeteria.

Since January, I exterminated 19 mice in my room.

There were droppings E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E- not good with asthma.

Cat Chasing Mouse GIF by SweetMintality on DeviantArt

In May, I also broke up a fight in my (former) intern's classroom.  He just stood there and stared while one girl was on top of other punching her senseless.

I jacked up both wrists and am now dealing with worker's comp, so that was pretty much the final straw.

Honored Contributor

@Lisa Y wrote:

Congratulations @lolakimono

Having a teaching background will serve you well in your new job: organization, management of people, learning new things (especially at the last minutute), etc.  I hope you will keep us updated as you start your new career.  I would be very interested in learning how things go for you as I've been thinking of retiring next year from a 35 year teaching career.
Good luck!

@Lisa Y 

You absolutely should!

The estimate is that 50% of teachers will be part of the edxit after this year.  The workload and red tape are not sustainable.

The public really needs to wake up and support teachers or their kids will be taught online by a certified teacher with a warm body in the classroom.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono 

Ordered this Lois Hill ring on LTS yesterday ... will go great with your new  pendant ...

Super Contributor

@lolakimono   Well deserved congratulations on the new position. Although this will be a deep loss for students, I can only hope it is a step in the right direction for you.  Not mentioning the demands put on teachers from administration hogwash, just the fact you had at least 19 dead mice to contend with, THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS for any job beyond professional exterminator!  It is an absolute disgrace that teachers and students were subjected to this.  If administrators thought hiring your former intern was a good choice, it's on them. Although, the teaching conditions you survived don't exactly allow them much choice of candidates, I assume. Best of luck in corporate America.  That is what I survived and retired from.  Miss my co-workers, enough said!

Trusted Contributor

Good morning everyone! 

@SoX 

That ring is beautiful- that shade of brown is gorgeous! You will have to borrow @lolakimono's new brooch!

@lolakimono 

Congratulations on the new job. The corporate world's gain is the school's loss. I completely understand your frustration. I am hearing it so much from my friends in the classroom. I know of teachers who suffer from PTSD because of the stress of the job. I did some substituting this year and was saddened by the effects of the pandemic on teachers and students. This will be a whole new world for you and you will be the most stylish one there. I have missed all of your wonderful posts! 👡👠👚👗

Honored Contributor

Good Morning and God Bless You @lolakimono   

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono  I remember when you applied for the position that you just vacated.  You were excited about the opportunity to make meaningful change.  It's disappointing when you go into a job wanting to make things better for the kids because let's face it, the kids are the point, and leadership just doesn't have your back.  Education is a team sport and I'm sure it felt like hey, we're in the same boat and I'm the only one rowing.

You made a difference and were a good advocate for your students.

I wish you success in your new job.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise