Respected Contributor

Re: A.M. Style Live Chat, 7:00, 6/27

@Witchy Woman  My FIL collected cars, and 2 of them were Studebakers. I remember that 1 of them was green, and he occasionally took it our for a drive. He restored cars as a hobby & sold them. My late husband collected cars, too. One he had a was a red 1963 Corvette with a split window that took him almost 2 years to restore. I thought it was a bumpy ride Lol. He also built and installed a new engine in a Corvette my brother collected; we drove to Chicago each weekend until they finished it. Big toys meant big garages, too, but they enjoyed their car hobbies.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@SoX 

I wish it was, but it is white with tan interior.  It is NOT the low, sleek T-birds of the 50s, but it is old enough now that it does stand out.

My husband has been replacing a "coil" of some sort on it, and it sits in the garage with the hood up.  He's very busy working, so, car repairs have to wait.

Every time I think of getting rid of it, I simply cannot.  And, likewise, DH has a 1964 Studebaker Avanti awaiting "repair"....so we are both stuck in the past.

Happy memories of music and youth!

Witchy Woman, my parents bought a '64 Studebaker station wagon right before my sister and I had to take our driver's test.  Luckily dad ordered a stick shift and it came with an automatic transmission.  It was our lucky day because it was a hot rainy day in July which we couldn't see out of the windows, so we didn't have to parallel park.  I always hated that big wagon.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desert Lily 

I'm an old car person, but DH isn't passionate about restoration so the Avanti remains as it was when he bought it 30 years ago, other than a new paint job and a few other items.

I admire people that have the patience to restore cars to their former glory.

We drove the Avanti a lot when he first bought it.  It's a 1964 and one of the last made.  Such a beautiful car.  I still adore it and will never let him sell it.  We keep hoping to have time to get it on the road again, but DH is very busy and....well, time gets away from us.

That Avanti is like riding in a big oven in the summertimeCat LOL  The engine is loud and hot, and the after-factory installed AC quit long ago.  But, I still love it.

Corvettes were always a top pick for me....they also have fiberglass bodies like the Avanti. Just beautiful cars.

In my youth, I dated a guy who worked the line in the St. Louis, MO, plant where they made Corvettes.  He also owned one...They really are a work of art.

Yes, it is an expensive hobby, but, a worthy one.  That era of cars will never be again.

Happy memories of youth!

Esteemed Contributor

@twinny70 

Studebaker made some crazy looking cars!  Love the station wagons.  Big ol' things!  

They had some of the most unique cars ever made (in my opinion).  My grandfather had a Studebaker that seemed like a battleship!  Cat LOL

Cannot imagine trying to learn to drive in one of those things.  

I did learn to drive on a stick shift, but in an Austin Healey Sprite.

For us, learning to drive = FREEDOM! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@twinny70 

Studebaker made some crazy looking cars!  Love the station wagons.  Big ol' things!  

They had some of the most unique cars ever made (in my opinion).  My grandfather had a Studebaker that seemed like a battleship!  Cat LOL

Cannot imagine trying to learn to drive in one of those things.  

I did learn to drive on a stick shift, but in an Austin Healey Sprite.

For us, learning to drive = FREEDOM! 

Several years ago when we were coming back from our East Coast vacation, we stopped at a museum in Shipshewana, IN & I think  it was a Studebaker museum.  We live in S. WI.  My DH said that it might have been Hudson's instead.