Esteemed Contributor

Re: A.M. Style Live Chat, 7:00, 4/27

@Bird mama 

My son told me the same thing, Birdie ... get the heck out while you can still enjoy it ... so glad I did and haven't looked back at that job yet!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

I really get into items presented by Pat.  Cute pants!

The younger group staring you down to hurry up and retire will just have to wait!

The most seasoned teachers many times are able to run their classes more smoothly and get more done.

As far as teaching goes ... when will it become policy to hire more teachers instead of overloading?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@SoX  Oooh, that is so darn sad.  I had my share of visiting the funeral home (2016-2017) for co-workers who never lived to see the fruits of their labor.  There was also a lady who retired in 2009 and immediately came back as a contractor and worked several more years because she didn't know how to relax and thought the company couldn't live without her.  The really sad part was at the end of 2016 my area did away with lots of contractor staff.  The woman finally had to retire and she died in August 2017.  Between that and my sister passing away at 60 years of age I said, that's it.  Pay the house off and get the heck out Bernie.  Tomorrow is not promised and you are going to want to enjoy some of the fruits of your labor.  

Bird Mama, you are so right about not being promised tomorrow.  In the past year we have both lost a lot of classmates and friends.  I still say that retirement is the best job in the world.  You can do what you want when you want or nothing at all.

Trusted Contributor

I have not told all you ladies but thought that I would share it now after reading these posts.  I am retiring from teaching at the end of this year.  My health is good, I'm "relatively" young, and I will have a good pension.  Somedays, it is scary!  Other days, it's "woohoo"!

Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono Good grief! What a week indeed.😳 My mother was a teacher and it is one of the hardest jobs there is, especially now a days. I think all good teachers are saints! What you all have to put up with, for the pay you get, it takes a special, caring person with an abundance of patience. My hat’s off to you! I hope next week is better.

Honored Contributor

I feel so badly for my neighbor's family ... she was a newly-retired teacher ...  always looking out for others.  She won't get to enjoy the fruits of her many years of teaching ... so sad.

@SoX 

That is so sad! Same here, have known quite a few who retired and then it happened😰

Honored Contributor

@SoX   I really like the faux fur plaid coat.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Tennesseegal 

Congratulations!

Of course, may of the long timers will come back and sub.  We had one who taught IN OUR BUILDING for 40 years.  Then she came back to sub, and would only sub for her "favorites."  She had NO Spanish language background, but I always asked her to sub because she could follow directions and could manage a class.  They DID WORK while I was gone, the room was not in chaos, and I never had to follow up with admin about any situations that occurred in my absence.  You could be THAT sub, high in demand, who picks and chooses jobs for her "favorites."

Or you could sit at home, eat bonbons, and drink mimosas!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama 

i’m a bit confused?

What type of company called you about the breach of security and how did you know they had your HIPPA info?

I thought our Citibank Security service called us about our data breach’s in the past?😡

@house_cat 

yes it is more difficult to post pictures here, at least for me (iPad)

I must do the regular first step and without me knowing, the picture will have been added to “my saved images.”

Next, I must go to saved images, choose the image I just dealt with, and then it very quickly inserts into the page.

Honored Contributor

@Tennesseegal   I think you are going to love it.  I retired at the end of March 2018 and when I got together with some of my co-workers at the end of October they told me I looked so relaxed and younger, rofl. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise