Honored Contributor

Re: A.M. Style Live Chat, 7:00, 12/15

@jackthebear  For clothing I tend to shop  online because I'm tall and can't find a big selection in stores.  There have been instances when I spotted something interesting in a tall size online that is also offered in 'misses' or 'plus' size.  When that happens and I'm not 100% sure, I'll go to the store (assuming it's JCP or local) and check out the garment in the 'standard' sizes to check out the construction or fabric.

I do like the garment measurements offered here at the Q.  Having those has enabled me to shop wisely and avoid returns (for fit).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@bopper

Read the reviews not all Amazon merchandise it American sizing, I have bought a few things that are great and others that I had to return due to size

@bopper wrote:

I just went to Amazon and found some really cute tops for under 20$ each and all are free shipping....makes me think I won't get the TSV today and just get some cute tops..  I have to learn to shop other places not just here or HSN or EVINE...

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@bopper

Read the reviews not all Amazon merchandise it American sizing, I have bought a few things that are great and others that I had to return due to size

@bopper wrote:

I just went to Amazon and found some really cute tops for under 20$ each and all are free shipping....makes me think I won't get the TSV today and just get some cute tops..  I have to learn to shop other places not just here or HSN or EVINE...

too big or too small?

there's a few things I like but sizing looks like an issue  

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear, in my experience, you have to go up in sizing. They have size charts, they are completely different than any store or online site that I ever shopped.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Bird mama

On Monday, I signed up to buy for our families in need.  I selected the most expensive items, because I figured those wouldn't get purchased.  One was a coat for a 9 year old girl, size XL juniors.  The other was for a 17 year old girl, size L ladies.  I think it's important to have a coat, and I see some of our kids wearing a blanket to school as their outerwear.  I don't know if the two girls are from the same family or not, but I figured if that's what they requested then they would probably not be "too cool" to wear them.

I went to Burlington, because I thought I could get both out of the way in one trip.  Well, they were ugly and picked over, and none of the coats were warm.  Mostly Made in China junk.  I asked one of my seniors what type of coat she thought I should get, and she said "black" because it goes with everything.  She suggested that I not get a wool coat (too fancy) but we both agreed that a teen in a ladies' large would probably not want additional bulk.

I went to the mall (gasp!) and I went straight to your store.  I didn't have a lot of time to get this done, because we had a deadline to get the gifts purchased/wrapped in time for the holiday concert, so online buying was out.  I figured if I struck out at JCP, I could always do Sears.

I saw the back of a girl, bent over, but I wasn't sure if she was looking for a certain size, or if she worked there and was "organizing" the merchandise.  Then I heard her voice, and I recognized it.  This was another one of my students (who coincidentally was NOT in my class that day for the last period but was able to show up for work).  She is Hispanic, so I told her about my trials and tribulations of trying to find two coats at one store, with the warm juniors XL being like the mythical unicorn.  I spoke to her in Spanish, which is what I do in class, and of course she was mortified.  I put her to work helping me select two coats that we thought would fit and be "stylish" but warm.  Then I got the older girl a scarf and a pair of Isotoner gloves.  The little girl got a hat/gloves combo.

Here are their coats.

I could not find a juniors XL, so she asked her manager about sizing in ladies.  Then a random customer came over and said that she can wear an XL in juniors but wears a large in misses.  So that's what we bought.

Even with coupons, it was more than I thought I would spend, but if it helps two girls have an amazing Christmas and keep warm, then I'm happy to do it.  I can always proctor the SAT, LOL.  So thanks for your inspiration, because you popped into my head immediately when I was tasked with getting this done after school on Monday.  Cat Happy

@lolakimono  In a previous job 20 years ago, we always did what you are talking about.  One year I got a mother name who wanted a suit so she could find a job.  She wanted the whole thing.  I felt generous.  I went to Dillard's and bought her a suit, some shoes, a purse and got some of my simple jewelry to match.  We were supposed to have $100 limit but you know that was not possible.  Each subsequent year, everyone would say "let Name do it. She finds the best bargains.  She gets a whole outfit, shoes and everything for ladies for about $100."  So I made a reputation for myself that I had to keep so the next 5 years I ended up each year spending $200-300.  LOL.  But, it made someone happy and I like to make people happy.  Then we strted having employees who did not want to do that any longer.  They wanted to swap gifts amongst themselves so I dropped out.    

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
@jackthebear, in my experience, you have to go up in sizing. They have size charts, they are completely different than any store or online site that I ever shopped.

thanks   have been looking at sweaters , loose fitting trendy ones,   but have the feeling the small will be too big so I am not ordering,  but some are so cute 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday

That was really nice of you.Heart

I saw later on our Sign Up Genius page that another person put her name next to the coat for the little girl, so maybe she will get two coats this year.  One item  listed was a size L shirt and size 16 pants, so I think those items are for the older girl.  At least with the gift receipt they can exchange if they need to.  IDK if the parents are giving the kids the presents as if they had purchased them, or if they came from Santa, or if they know the are from a charity drive.  They may be like "mom, why did you get me this UGLY coat?" LOL.   Picking out pants for myself is tricky, so I can't imagine just having the information "size 16 pants" - it's not that useful when trying to get something that they will actually wear.  Yoga pants?  Jeans? Track pants? Leggings? Something warm like corduroy, or something casual like khakis?