Honored Contributor

Re: A.M. Style Live Chat, 7:00, 11/9

@I am still oxox , sorry to hear that. I hope his surgery goes well and that he recovers as quickly as possible. 

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1  I fired up the lawnmower on Monday and vacuumed up the leaves in my front and back yards.  My lower back was a little sore from emptying the mower bagger attachment but it beat all that raking.  I had 10 tighly packed lawn refuse bags waiting for the garbage crew on Tuesday morning.  I used the wheelbarrow to get 2 bags down the driveway at a time.  I'm finally learning - smarter, not harder.

The cold snap finished off what was left on the trees and my front yard looks pretty with those silver maple leaves all over it (sigh).  The backyard only has some mulberry tree leaves (all the way in the back).

I used to have a Snapper mower that wouldn't fire up if the temps were under 70 degrees.  I'm sitting here and I can't remember the brand of mower I have now - oh Lord.  I think it's a Honda and that thing fires up in the cold.

I think I'm going to see if that bad boy will fire up today.  I'll set it for mulch, run around the front yard and then add the bagger to vacuum up the mulched leaves.  I usually put the last leaves around the base of my pines in the back and the yew shrubs in the back.  I do it for the wildlife that might burrow back there.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Has anyone ever had "SCRAPPLE?"

I did... in northern PA and it is YUK.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama, I use a combination of leaf blower, lawn mower to blow them into rows, and rake. We can still burn in my area, I use a 55 gallon trash can to scoop the rows of leaves into. I burned 37 of those 55 gallon garbage cans full of leaves this week. I will try to just mulch as much as possible this time, until the leaves are so deep as to make that not possible. After this time, whatever drops will stay for the critters, till Spring.

Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

Has anyone ever had "SCRAPPLE?"

I did... in northern PA and it is YUK.

yes.  my ex is a penn state graduate, and so we visited PA often.  he loved the stuff.  i tried it once and i agree with you @LTT1  ... it is yuk. 

Honored Contributor

Yea, we're not allowed to burn here @Snicks1   There was a time when I would rake constantly.  If I had neighbors were raked constantly I'd probably still do that.  Now I'm more strategic.  I wait for the walnut tree in my back yard to dump all of the leaves then I rake.  The mulberry is the last to grow leaves and the last to lose leaves.

I did the front yard when 75% of the leaves had fallen.  I was also waiting for my next door neighbor's big tree to lose leaves since they tend to fall all over my driveway and blow into my front yard.  

Whatever I do this weekend will be it for me.  The only thing I will monitor is the street.  My next door neighbor never sweeps in front of her house to make sure the sewer grate is clear.  I've been maintaining it since I bought the house.  If the grate is clogged it will impact me eventually.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama 

this tree (and a few other Silver Maples around here) are so beautiful and their colors are very rare around here.

I feel lucky to see such color in our area

8CF05989-718B-4C0F-BCDB-79745D82E76A.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD 

@LTT1 

Thank you for the suggestions.  I will have to do some experimenting.

Honored Contributor

I need to finish getting ready for shopping trip with trucker girl. Will check back later.
Trusted Contributor

@jackthebear  

Bought this WhoWhatWear Top at Target recently. Many compliments. Wore with jeans, front tuck.  Employee at Dillards yesterday loved it!  

A48095AC-1E95-4A1B-B771-6EE3FB5D12F8.jpeg