Re: 🧤A M Style Live Chat 10-15-2022

@Desert Lily  I like that! 

Respected Contributor

@SoX  Just checked the Vince boots.  They are sold out of my size 9.5M.  : (   

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama 

I know this sounds like I'm a curmudgeon, Bernie, and maybe I am, but if it weren't so cost-prohibitive, I'd replace my 7-ft fence with a privacy one.   

I have neighbors ... well, from hades, if you must know.  To the south, they are very nice but don't take care of their property.   To the north, they are crazy and dangerous ... not too strong a word.  The son, who doesn't work, even has a pit-bull that barks at anything that moves.  I just stare him down and keep going.  My DH and son (who comes to mow the lawn) get along well with them ... maybe it's just me, huh ... naw.

Honored Contributor

You are so lucky that your fence is 7 feet @SoX   6 feet is the limit here.  If the building code allowed it and I won lotto I would hire a masonry company.

Gated Courtyard w Brick and Stone Walls and Patio ...

I've wanted a privacy fence since we bought the house 21 years ago.  My husband resisted because he was worried what the neighbors would think.  I said when they pay the mortgage and property taxes I'll give them a vote.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

It's not you @SoX   Men have a way of going along to get along to keep the peace.  Your instincts are spot on.

Honored Contributor

@SoX 

This is going to be an especially expensive proposition for me because I have to clear land along the back fence - 5 trees and 7 shrubs.  This is what happens when someone plants a tree 2 feet away from a chain link fence and doesn't think about tree growth 30-40 years on.  Not for nothing 4 of the trees (pines and a mulberry) are so tall they extend into the power lines that connect homes on my side of the block.  Since I am not interested is seeing some electrocute themselves on my property I will hire an arborist certified and licensed to work with high voltage $$44

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

You are so lucky that your fence is 7 feet @SoX   6 feet is the limit here.  If the building code allowed it and I won lotto I would hire a masonry company.

Gated Courtyard w Brick and Stone Walls and Patio ...

I've wanted a privacy fence since we bought the house 21 years ago.  My husband resisted because he was worried what the neighbors would think.  I said when they pay the mortgage and property taxes I'll give them a vote.

@Bird mama 

Now THIS is my kind of privacy fence!  Is this what you're getting?   It's just beautiful!

Honored Contributor

Nope the city won't allow it @SoX  It will be a vinyl privacy fence.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama 

I told you I needed coffee!   Didn't read that part about winning the lotto ...

Vinyl works, too ...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SoX  The chain link fence that I own on the property line is 54 years old.  The building code says that the person who pays for the fence to be installed owns the fence and is responsible for the fence.  Every owner after inherits that right and responsibility.  If ownership cannot be determine then the lot line fence is shared between adjacent properties.

Lucky for me.... there was one owner of this house before me.  I live in the model home for the two stories (they call em colonials out here) and the builder's office.  The previous owner gave me all of the historical paperwork so I have the receipt from 1968 that proves it's mine, all mine (imagine an evil laugh).

On the south side of the yard there has been so much heaving of the ground over 54 years of Michigan winters the concrete plugs that the posts were set in are rising up out of the dirt like a tooth coming out.  That neighbor is one of the original members of the block and we get along.  She's so mad that she has to pay for new city sidewalks she says she don't care what I do.  I was never gonna ask her to pay anything towards it since it's mine.

The west fence aka the back fence is so warped and darn near falling over because of the mulberry tree that it needs to be replaced.  That fence borders a school property.  I'm sick of kids reaching into my yard, kicking their balls in the yard and the landscapers for the school waiting until winter to play with chain saws on my trees.  I've paid money over the years to have my trees professionally groomed by an arborist.

I will cry like a baby when these trees are taken down.  They are NOT sick and while the mulberry will be dormant, the pines will feel it. 

The northside of my yard currently has vinyl privacy fence that I installed professionally and in accordance with a permit in 2007 when that neighbor lost her mind and started screaming at me and rushing the fence when my dog and I were in the yard.  I don't know what happened - she came to my wedding.  Whatever the crisis, her kids are not making their problem my problem.

Technically I could snatch all of the chain link fence out.  In order to do so I also have the responsibility to remediate my neighbors fences.  That means when I pull the fence post for chain link to accomodate vinyl fence post, I need to install a new post next to vinyl fence post so my neighbors chain link fences don't fall down.  It's all this interconnectedness cr@p.

I've experienced an emergency fence installation once and I want to treat myself to a pleasant experience.  At this point I am telling fence companies we will remove and replace chain link on back fence and south side.  We are replacing vinyl fence on north side and installing it right on the chain link fence.  This old woman that is a PITA is near 90.  I keep in mind that God don't like ugly and Bernie don't need grief.

If I were to pull down that chain link while she is living man would she have to cut back and possibly remove established plants.  She's old, lonely, can't drive anymore and loves her flowers.

She's always been one of those people that I would say upon her passing when it happens, may she find peace in heaven that she couldn't find on Earth.

If God were to call her home in the next 6 months then I would replace the lot line fence on that side.  If God doesn't think it's time then the old battle-ax can have the chain link fence.