Honored Contributor

I've sewn since I was in Jr. High.  I love fabrics but what has happened in the last several years has set me back considerably.  I not only dislike, but can't stand the newer thin, thin knits, weaves and materials that IMHO yell "cheap".  These were the cheaper fabrics that the fabric stores (remember them?) put on the back, back table and sold for pennies on the dollar.  No one used those fabrics for anything serious.... maybe pillows and doll clothes....

Cut to today..... that's all I'm seeing when I go to the stores.  It's all I'm receiving when I choose to buy something from the Q.  It's as if the designers and manufacturers are deliberately trying to make these tissue thin fabrics haute... to turn them into something desirable, and I believe they have because there just isn't much else to pick from and many of the buyers out there aren't old enough to remember anything better.

I do, and I want the better fabrics back.....  Woman Happy 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

...I do, and I want the better fabrics back..... 

@Q4u

I want them back, too!  I've often wondered if there was such a thing as "grades" of fabric.  The OP's point, if I understand it, might be an example of what I mean...you order something cotton and spandex, then re-order it at a later date and it's thinner than the original, but the cotton and spandex content is exactly the same.  A different, lower grade of cotton (or spandex)?

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

It used to be that, when you saw tissue-thin fabrics, it was on garments at discount stores, priced very cheaply.  Now, this see-through quality seems to be the norm rather than the exception and the prices are beyond unreasonable for something that wrinkles, doesn't wash well and will only last a season.

*****************************************I think some of the thinness is also because everyone wants to wear the "layered look".  Many thick items aern't comfortable layered.

@ECBG

Yes, I can see your point, but very thin garments just don't last.  I guess if you just want something to last a season and you don't pay a lot for it, that's ok.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

It used to be that, when you saw tissue-thin fabrics, it was on garments at discount stores, priced very cheaply.  Now, this see-through quality seems to be the norm rather than the exception and the prices are beyond unreasonable for something that wrinkles, doesn't wash well and will only last a season.

*****************************************I think some of the thinness is also because everyone wants to wear the "layered look".  Many thick items aern't comfortable layered.

@ECBG

Yes, I can see your point, but very thin garments just don't last.  I guess if you just want something to last a season and you don't pay a lot for it, that's ok.

*********************************************Totally agree.  I just won't buy that stuff!  I think this is part of that "throw away fashion" thinking that has been around a little while.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@ECBG

*********************************************Totally agree.  I just won't buy that stuff!  I think this is part of that "throw away fashion" thinking that has been around a little while.

I guess I must be old-school because I always buy clothes that I want to have until I get tired of them or they go out of style. I tend to get attached to my stuff!

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@Q4u

I want them back, too!  I've often wondered if there was such a thing as "grades" of fabric.  The OP's point, if I understand it, might be an example of what I mean...you order something cotton and spandex, then re-order it at a later date and it's thinner than the original, but the cotton and spandex content is exactly the same.  A different, lower grade of cotton (or spandex)?

While I've never actually seen a fabric grading, it just makes sense to think about what they are doing.  If they lessen the amount of fabric they are manufacturing, they are 1) saving money on the fabric they are not including   2) they are saving money on the time it takes to produce a fabric with less structure and 3) charge more for the garment overall, thus the profit has gone up significantly.

And yes, you can have a certain weight fabric and the percentages of the materials would not change if the manufacturer cut the weight of the fabric in half....  makes sense.  Yes, I'd consider it to be a lower grade.  Also cottons can be very different depending  on where and how it's grown.  I personally have avoided cottons from India (just my personal preference of weave and dye)....Spandex is a man made product and can be adjusted.  

Plus there has been a concerted effort to make the public 'love' the new and improved tissue thin garments..... and many do.  I just don't.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@Q4u

While I've never actually seen a fabric grading, it just makes sense to think about what they are doing.  If they lessen the amount of fabric they are manufacturing, they are 1) saving money on the fabric they are not including   2) they are saving money on the time it takes to produce a fabric with less structure and 3) charge more for the garment overall, thus the profit has gone up significantly.

And yes, you can have a certain weight fabric and the percentages of the materials would not change if the manufacturer cut the weight of the fabric in half....  makes sense.  Yes, I'd consider it to be a lower grade.  Also cottons can be very different depending  on where and how it's grown.  I personally have avoided cottons from India (just my personal preference of weave and dye)....Spandex is a man made product and can be adjusted.  

Plus there has been a concerted effort to make the public 'love' the new and improved tissue thin garments..... and many do.  I just don't.....

I never thought about the where/how it's grown aspect...never thought about the weave factor either!  Add all these considerations together and it's no wonder we have so much of this awful, tissue thin cotton.  

Altho I agree with @Texasmouse that there might be a few thin items that I would buy for a season...trendy style or color...it is very few and I consider them throw-away items.

I truly miss the beefy, substantial fabrics of my youth, especially cotton.

Thanks for the info (and for the info on the wool thread)!

Have a great evening, @Q4u , and a joyful, healthy new year to you and yours.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~