Contributor

I own this top in 5 colors from years past,  and absolutely love them.  They have been my favorite D & C tunic top.  Now I just ordered 3 more because I lost weight.  I received them today, and instead of it being the nice french terry, they're a spongey, thin, see-thru jersy knit.  UGH !!

Esteemed Contributor

I just posted a similar problem with Ryka sneakers. The pairs I purchased 7-8 years ago from the Q were great quality and perfect sizing. Today, u never know if they'll fit or if the quality is still there. Clarks shoes is another brand that changed!!!!

Super Contributor

My mom declares her older clothes are much nicer than things today. She really notes a difference with  Talbots. I am much more discerning with my clothing purchases. Fewer items at better quality. I have been pleased this year with Garnet Hill. They have some good markdowns.

Floral Pillow
Esteemed Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I just posted a similar problem with Ryka sneakers. The pairs I purchased 7-8 years ago from the Q were great quality and perfect sizing. Today, u never know if they'll fit or if the quality is still there. Clarks shoes is another brand that changed!!!!

@kivah ... YES I agree .... Clarks are NOT the same as they use to be .... so dissapointed as I use to like their shoes.

Respected Contributor

@proshop2 wrote:

I own this top in 5 colors from years past,  and absolutely love them.  They have been my favorite D & C tunic top.  Now I just ordered 3 more because I lost weight.  I received them today, and instead of it being the nice french terry, they're a spongey, thin, see-thru jersy knit.  UGH !!

Just to clarify -- the version you have with the very same item number is made of french terry? I ask because the current description says perfect jersey, and it seems odd that they wouldn't just discontinue the old version and give it a new item number if they were going to change something as significant as the fabric from which it is made. Puzzling.

Trusted Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@proshop2 wrote:

Just to clarify -- the version you have with the very same item number is made of french terry? I ask because the current description says perfect jersey, and it seems odd that they wouldn't just discontinue the old version and give it a new item number if they were going to change something as significant as the fabric from which it is made. Puzzling.

Thanks for this as I just went and looked at the top.  If someone is buying multiples it is a pretty good indication that it is a great piece and worth trying.   I will wait to see if OP clarifies.

Respected Contributor

I've noticed this too on some reorders.  Fabrics, in general are definitely not the quality they used to be no matter where you buy.  Sure wouldn't know it by the price.  I think this is why so many here are so critical of the prices on some of these lines.  If I'm going to get poor fabric quality, I'll at least go find it at lower prices.  And, I'm talking about that really cheap stuff. 

On another note, if I never saw a 3/4 length sleeve again I would be happy.  I am determined to stop buying those tops.   

Respected Contributor

It used to be that, when you saw tissue-thin fabrics, it was on garments at discount stores, priced very cheaply.  Now, this see-through quality seems to be the norm rather than the exception and the prices are beyond unreasonable for something that wrinkles, doesn't wash well and will only last a season.

Contributor

My error, my olders ones are a thick jersey.   so thick that they felt like fa thin french terry.  I just dug them out, and realized my error.   I logged on to correct my statement, but not my complaint.  I'm returning the new ones.  They're much less than perfect to me.  The old ones were.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

It used to be that, when you saw tissue-thin fabrics, it was on garments at discount stores, priced very cheaply.  Now, this see-through quality seems to be the norm rather than the exception and the prices are beyond unreasonable for something that wrinkles, doesn't wash well and will only last a season.

*****************************************I think some of the thinness is also because everyone wants to wear the "layered look".  Many thick items aern't comfortable layered.