Honored Contributor

Re: 80% of FFANY profits going to Research?

On 10/19/2014 Lila4now said:

Since the Q is it's own network, and they didn't go to New York. About the only thing they're out is time for the program. Don't kid yourself, they will make money on the excessive shipping they charge for donated shoes. If they were really benevolent, they would discount shipping, or ship items from the event for free.

ITA

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

On 10/17/2014 winamac1 said:

They should offer free s/h as an extra enticement for customers to purchase. One year I purchased 3 pairs of shoes, and it cost me over $21 to ship--maybe closer to $25.

I agree- or at least half price off the shipping costs after the first pair purchased. I would have purchased more shoes !

Respected Contributor

QVC is probably keeping the 20%. I wouldn't be surprised anyway. It would be better to just make a private donation to the American Cancer Society and take a tax write-off.

Honored Contributor

I have no idea what they said in the past. If it was 100% of the profit, 80% of the purchase price is a better deal for the researchers.

I can't support research by buying shoes, so I write checks directly to charities and even there, 100% does not go to research.

Honored Contributor

Don't know, don't care.. I don't get involved in any "buy Pink" stuff. I make a donation directly to Breast Cancer cause of my choice. I prefer a local charity that assists patients with their needs as they go through treatment. When it comes to research dollars, I don't think breast cancer is in need of funding or attention. I rather support patients and families.
Honored Contributor

Ok to be fair to Q V C, the vast majority of all "Pink" selling schemes, donate 10% or less to Breast Cancer charities, some as little as 1%. 80% is amazing!
Super Contributor

I purchased dozens of shoes in the past and i do remember it was 100% yet is it due to the economy and having to use 20 to offset cost in preparing /shipping ? Q would not in any way be dishonest with such a dire cause.

Valued Contributor

Well, at least a substantial amount is being donated for breast cancer research and education. It is better than nothing at all.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/17/2014 winamac1 said:

They should offer free s/h as an extra enticement for customers to purchase. One year I purchased 3 pairs of shoes, and it cost me over $21 to ship--maybe closer to $25.

This is a great idea, IMO. The cost of shipping would be a perfect way for QVC to contribute.

Occasional Contributor

So how exactly have the BILLIONS raised for research made a positive impact on the prevention and cure of this or most other diseases? Seems to me it's all getting worse.