Honored Contributor

Love the Dennis basso plaid skirt on the homepage but way too much $$$$ for an acrylic skirt IMO. I think for that much money he should use a better fabric.

Honored Contributor

Re: $77 + tax & S&H?

[ Edited ]

One of my problems with buying clothing online is that I can't feel the hand of the fabric, can't see how an item hangs on my own body, etc.  For that reason, I rarely buy clothing long distance.

Is that price too high?  Certainly for some wallets, it is.  Is it too high for that piece?  I have no idea - it could actually be pretty inexpensive.

We can buy an acrylic blouse for almost nothing or we can pay several hundred for one.  Same with polyester or cotton or just about any fabric you can name.  It's not the NAME of the fabric that determines its value.  I've never bought anything from DB except for coats.  Those have been excellent value, so maybe that blouse is, too?  As I said, I don't know, but neither the fabric nor the price scares me - it's my own buying habits keeping me away.

ETA -- Great eyesight here -  I read shirt for skirt.  Still, my comments on price and fabric stand.  Millie

Honored Contributor

I know enough about fabric to know that an acrylic and poly blend is not anywhere near value for the money at $77. They are man made fabrics for cripes sake. That skirt IMO is worth about $25. It is all about value for the dollar to me - not some name on a tag that no one would ever see but you pay all that extra for. No Thanks.

Honored Contributor

People being willing to over pay for items is WHY the prices keep going up & up. Why don't people engage their brains before they spend their dollars?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Where do a you find a designer, yarn dyed, lined skirt for $25?

Not all acrylic blends are created equal.

The good news is, if you think $77 is too much to spend for a winter skirt, you do not have to buy it.

OP, you just love to complain.

Honored Contributor

What does it matter how much it costs?

If you don't like it, you don't like it at any price.

Why do you have to insult people about what they spend their money on?  Nobody criticized you for spending $60 on a Joan Rivers boyfriend shirt. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just crack up when someone says "not all polyester (or acrylic) is made equally." YES IT IS. It is ALL made from plastic, all of it. And it is ALL cheap as dirt.  Yarn dyed - LOL -when they melt the block of plastic to extrude the "yarns" to weave into fabric they dye the entire molten mess. So, no, it won't fade. But it is hardly what one would call " yarn dyed". Some folks need to research how these man made fabrics are made. Poly = many, ester = plastic. All petroleum products - the leftovers from a refinery. No joke.

Trusted Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

Where do a you find a designer, yarn dyed, lined skirt for $25?

Not all acrylic blends are created equal.

The good news is, if you think $77 is too much to spend for a winter skirt, you do not have to buy it.

OP, you just love to complain.

CORRECT.

Trusted Contributor

@brii wrote:

What does it matter how much it costs?

If you don't like it, you don't like it at any price.

Why do you have to insult people about what they spend their money on?  Nobody criticized you for spending $60 on a Joan Rivers boyfriend shirt. 

So TYPICAL.

Honored Contributor

I've been a home sewer on and off for over 50 years.  I do know a bit about fabric.  As with natural fiber fabrics, there are different quality manmade fabrics.  Personally I'd take a better quality synthetic fabric over a cheap, scratchy wool, any day. You can buy cheap 100% cotton items that are a wrinkly mess. 

As for the pricepoint of the skirt, when you buy a Dennis Basso item, you pay a bit more for name. The skirt is lined and hopefully the plaids are aligned.