Honored Contributor

I like the 1953 look far better than the current choices shown, but I see many other choices in the stores now than the ragged style which is not to my taste. Good thing because that shirtwaist is not flattering to my body just as tucking in a top even halfway would be.  The contrast makes a point, but I seldom see anyone at all in that 2023 style let alone anyone in my generation or even the next few.

Honored Contributor

The 2023 "fashions" are a total embarrassment. IMHO.

Respected Contributor

The 2023 photo looks like teenagers.  Is the left how teenagers in 1953 dressed?  I was born 20 years after that so I don't know.  

I wore jeans to work today.  I'm warm, comfortable, and didn't have to iron.  I also used my very own bank account that no man had to co-sign for to buy my lunch so there's that.

Honored Contributor

And you ironed just about everything you wore, i like those dresses,but still love the way we dressed in the 60's, i am 71!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

My grandmother wore shirtwaist dresses.

Honored Contributor

Re: 70 years....

[ Edited ]

Apples and oranges.

There were shlumpy looking people in the 50s too.  

And don't forget, back then you only got your picture taken when you were dressed for it.  These days you never know what's going to turn up in a photo.

Honored Contributor

Re: 70 years....

[ Edited ]

I checked out that website printed under the photo. I find it interesting that the homepage's mission statement is:

"This is the place for every woman to kick of her shoes, take off her bra and  laugh, share, comment, question, get inspired, and find new friends. It is a community to SUPPORT other women, and kindness towards others is required. It is OUR special place-ie the Secret Garden for all of us funny, wise, intelligent and beautiful, complex women!"  

I don't like the overly exaggerated shredded jeans either. 

But what's really the point of comparing a 1953 photo of what looks like professional models in dresses, to a 2023 photo of seemingly teenage girls? 

What about teenagers of the 1920's that wanted to emulate the skimpy dresses that older flappers wore?  They rolled down their stockings below their knees.  They were scandalized!

Teenagers of every decade have always followed their own trends.  Strange as they may be, and especially if the elders don't like it.  Smiley Wink        

Esteemed Contributor

I would definitely choose 2023 over the 1953 style shown! Are you kidding me! Those dresses look so uncomfortable and who has a waist like that anyway? No one I know. I'm so glad that fashion options are SO much broader and inclusive now. It's telling that the 1953 picture is a drawing......not real women. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

The 1953 photo is "real women."  Yes, we looked like that and we wore those dressed with pride!

I am 85+ and still have a smaller waistline!  I am a real woman, Had 3 kids in 3 years!  Still had a waistline!

Got pics as proof!

Frequent Contributor
What was the underbelly?