Trusted Contributor

Re: 70's Revival-are you in???

@shoekitty wrote:

The gown below reminds me of one of the gowns used in the rock opera "jesus Christ Superstar"  A disco stunner as well.

I think this jumpsiuit is absolutely beautiful and the lines are so graceful. Oh to have the body and the opportunity to wear something like that. . .

Trusted Contributor

@SHIRAZ wrote:

Okay.  Who remembers these wavy-bottomed shoes?

LOL @SHIRAZ

I never had a pair but those are Famolares (not sure of the spelling). :-)

Regular Contributor

Thanks, everyone, for the trip down memory lane! 

lovestoteach:  I loved Villager clothes and longed for one of their   flowered print suits when in high school.  But at $40 (I think) it was too

expensive, so my grandmother (a former seamstress) helped me sew

some flowered dresses and skirts. 

Someone else mentioned going to the fabric store - what fond memories I have of going with my grandmother.  All the pattern books to look through,

so many bolts of fabric to pick from, and those nice older women to offer assistance.

Remember bell bottoms (someone mentioned "elephant" bell bottoms which I'd forgotten about!) and poorboy sweaters that barely covered the

midriff.  Wore mini skirts and dresses to my summer office job in high

school.  My mother took one of my dresses to the dry cleaner, and he

charged her for a blouse!  But I was tiny then with a 23" waist; going

bra-less didn't matter because I didn't have much there to support!

Think I'll leave the 70's clothes revival to the young, who have the bodies

and youthful self confidence to carry it off.  I'll still have the memories of

all the fun we had...

Honored Contributor

@SHIRAZ

@SHIRAZ wrote:

I thought these jeans were sooooo cooool!!!

I think these still look cool. Apparently, there is an interest in this look for some of the younger group.

As for being into these looks for myself, I could probably Bly incorporate some fashion points carefully!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Remember how everyone used to sew?  Oh, yes...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

No, thanks; I was there the last time & they were called bell- bottoms.  So now they're called flare, huh?

They are called "bell" that's the description and the bigger the flare the better.  They've always called them that.  No boot cut either.  Just big flares.  Skinnies are still here, you need them to show off the boots.  And the tall "thigh grazers" boots.  Just past your knee. The jeans are ripped too.  Not just the skinnys but the bell bottoms. I love the Dre a style pioneered by Rag & Bone.  That's a slouch look.  Still popular are slim boyfriend jeans.  No matter what the jean, it's got to be ripped.

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@VCamp2748 wrote:

No, thanks; I was there the last time & they were called bell- bottoms.  So now they're called flare, huh?

They are called "bell" that's the description and the bigger the flare the better.  They've always called them that.  No boot cut either.  Just big flares.  Skinnies are still here, you need them to show off the boots.  And the tall "thigh grazers" boots.  Just past your knee. The jeans are ripped too.  Not just the skinnys but the bell bottoms. I love the Dre a style pioneered by Rag & Bone.  That's a slouch look.  Still popular are slim boyfriend jeans.  No matter what the jean, it's got to be ripped.

Many brands call them "flare leg" jeans as well.

Valued Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

Remember how everyone used to sew?  Oh, yes...

I used to sew constantly!  The fabric store was my favorite place to go.  I spent hours matching all of the patterns I liked to all of the fabrics I liked.  My mother and I had a whole dresser drawer full of patterns!  Then when we started shopping Liz Claiborne sportswear, I started copying some of the clever embellishments I found on their shirts.  I would pleat fabric before cutting the pockets out, and then add a band at the top.  I would change up the way I did the back pleat on the yoke.  I would add extra rows of top stitching, and sometimes "barn door" stitching.  Ha! It sounds like I put more effort into my creations than a lot of the designers on QVC!

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Valued Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

i still have those peasant styles!  i still love the look!

Valued Contributor

i'm still the hippie.....let's light up!  Yep still that too!