Esteemed Contributor

Re: 70's Revival-are you in???

@LTT1 wrote:

image.jpg

Take me away the guys, change the hair to blonde, and this would have been one of my outfits. The knee high skin-tight boots/tights/hot pants (really?) yes ... Ok now laff

i was in college, the 60's had resulted in hippie left-overs and everyone was poor so we CONSTANTLY wore jeans... High-waisted bell-bottoms and very tall shoes

@LTT1, another trip down memory lane! My favorite outfit was SUPER low, fake velvet, wide bell bottoms with a flowered halter top that tied in the back. Must have had four of each of those (blushing). I was a skinny little thing with large, ahem, tatas, so glad I don't have a pic to remind me of my fashion explorations!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Valued Contributor

Reminds me of Jr. High/High School.  Some interesting styles back then!  Anyone remember the "double-zipper" jeans? 

Count me in as a fan of Villager, floppy hats, macrame belts, A-line, gored and pleated skirts - and at the very end of the 70's circles skirts made their way back in.  Loved those!  Also I was a big fan of the clogs and slides with the wooden bottoms.  I found them very comfortable and easy to walk in at the time.  Not sure how I would fare in them today.

Unfortunately, my body shape has completely changed from what it was in the 70's.  No bell-bottoms or mini dresses for me!  I love bohemian peasant tops, but now have difficulty finding them that don't make me look like a cow.

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I am in, but in a limited way. Bring on the wide leg jeans, and boho tops, and some fringe in handbags or shoes. But no I wont be doing mini skirts/dresses, or short shorts.

My 17 yr old granddaughter is into the updated 70s styles, but shes a size 4 and wears it well. I don't not have that kind of figure anymore!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I actually made this jumpsuit that looked like a gown.  It was cream color

The gown below reminds me of one of the gowns used in the rock opera "jesus Christ Superstar"  A disco stunner as well.

Honored Contributor

Pucci jumpsuit.  Who didn't have some kind of a jumpsuit in the 70's?

Notice the shoes and the heel.  The shoes could be worn today

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

This old photo really looks like things that were worn everyday around 1972 to 1976?

Love the shoes

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty The Simplicity pattern reminds me of my mom!  I remember looking through pattern book after pattern book with her at the fabric store when I was a very young girl.  She was a beautiful seamstress.  Thanks for that fond and vivid memory!

Honored Contributor

I sewed as well, as did most of the women I knew in the 60's and 70's.  After that  people didn't sew so much.  It was so exciting when the new books came out!  Simplicity, Butterick, Vogue and McCalls.  I could spend hours going through the fabric store as well.  Oh the fabrics they had.  The women who worked in the stores were so knowledgeable.  It was fun.  At that time it was a little more economical to sew.  But the big plus was that you could make the pattern in the fabric and color you wanted, and make it to fit.  It was fun.

I remember in the late 60's and early 70's you could find a seamstress to make you an outfit for 6 to10 dollars!  You would buy the fabric and trims and she would have the outfit back in a week or so with one fitting.