Respected Contributor

Re: 70's Revival-are you in???

[ Edited ]

Love the the bootcut and flre pants look, not the huge elephant flares.  And the vest & ponchos seem to be back.  Fringe also.

My husband asks me why even slightly overweight women wear leggigs as a second skin that shows everything.  I kep saying they are cute with a tunic top but so many women think tunics cover their assets so choose shorter tops.

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

I'm "in"...looking for a great pair of flare jeans. Are you buying something new or reviving anything from your closet for that 70's vibe???

Count me out!  I believe I dressed like that in Jr High.  I know I had a pair of white boots like that.  Been there, done that.  However, I do like the return of fuller leg pants and true boot cut jeans and wider (not palazzo) leg jeans.  They are showing them in all the fashion magazines and I'm seeing them in stores.  Although, I don't think QVC has shown any.  Yesterday I bought a black leather blazer (D&Co) because I see myself stepping away from slim leg pants this winter.  I'm looking foward to going "back" to wider leg pants.  

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

431-481 G by Giuliana Luxe Denim Flare Jean  

There's always a time and a place to wear jeans. They're the great wardrobe chameleon. From weekends to weekdays and sun-up to sun-down, these stretch denim flare jeans are a fashion staple you simply have to have. With an easy, pull-on silhouette and curve-hugging fit, these are the pair you'll turn to day after day and season after season.

Yes!  That's the look.  Come to Mama......lol  

Respected Contributor

I am all in with 70's fashions!!!!!  So in my wheel house!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@june22 wrote:

At age 60....I have been there....done that several times over since the 70's.   To the youngsters what is old is new again. Enjoy.....

I will stick to my classic fashion that is timeless and and always in style. Not into trendy fashion that is out of style in 6 months.

I have thought a lot about 'the classics' as it relates to my wardrobe and the whole idea of some fashions being 'timeless' has changed right before my eyes.  I'm guessing that today classic styles make up maybe 25% percent of my closet.

I work from home but am often in various workplaces around the country. I've been doing this 5 years and the baby boomers make up less and less of the workplaces that I see.  And the fashion is impacted by that.  Granted I work mostly in the west and in tech related industries, universities and social services.  Those environment can skew young.

This is all to say that I don't think there are hard and fast rules for dressing anymore.  You need to feel good in what you wear.  If that is 'classic', great. But more and more a work jacket doesn't last 10 years.  I think the abundance of less expensive clothes is having an impact on the modern sense of style.

Respected Contributor

I love these jeans but would wear the a different shoe and top.

Valued Contributor

Sure--why not? I think some of it is a lot of fun--especially the bohemian looks. I wore it in the 70's as a teenager, and I'm wearing some of it now!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely not. It was bad enough the first time around. Luckily I escaped it, being a kid and all. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I think a lot of people are only recalling the extreme fashions of the early 70's.  It wasn't just go-go boots with hot pants, or hippie looks.  In the mid to late 70's longer A-line skirts were popular, as were blazers, a much more conservative look.  I think the clothes that Ali MacGraw wore in the movie "Love Story" show a different side of 70's clothing that has stood up well.  I think that every decade has some great and some not-so-great looks.

Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

I bought 2 of the pieces H&M featured

the 3/4 Ultrasuede-ish coat which is really cool looking and a patterned shirt

http://www.hm.com/us/product/19702?article=19702-F

http://www.hm.com/us/product/20747?article=20747-A&cm_vc=SEARCH

@jackthebear, cute choices! Awesome prices. 

@MaggieMack the coat is an awesome piece, looks much more expensive than it is, I don't buy much there but I couldn't leave it there