Honored Contributor

70% off clearance coming Thursday To Talbots -- With A Condition

I was at T's this morning and was told there would be 70% off the marked down price starting Thursday 2/14 but....they'll be final sales.   At least here in my city.

Over the summer during the read hanger sale, the last discounts were final sales at two but not all of our stores in my city.  Talbots was "trying it out in some stores."   Well, not it'll be across the board here, and I'm guessing elsewhere too.

I really dislike final sales.  I've pretty much been through everything I wanted at this RH sale anyway.

Respected Contributor

Re: 70% off clearance coming Thursday To Talbots -- With A Condition

The Talbots store in my mall closed but there is another mall lose by that did not close.  I sometimes wonder why the clothes at Talbots seem to be offered at a discount or sale most of the time, especially on-line.  I can't help but think that the first discount price would be the regular price shown at a discount for the sale.

Honored Contributor

@tobes wrote:

The Talbots store in my mall closed but there is another mall lose by that did not close.  I sometimes wonder why the clothes at Talbots seem to be offered at a discount or sale most of the time, especially on-line.  I can't help but think that the first discount price would be the regular price shown at a discount for the sale.

@tobes  I don't really know what you mean by this.

Respected Contributor

Sorry Pearly  // I sometimes think that Talbots and others like Jill and Old Navy over price the items so they can then turn around offer them at a "sale" price which is probably closer to the price they are worth and not a bargain.  Often the original price goes on sale pretty quick.  They can also play around with keeping the price and offering free shipping which is worse and no bargain.

Honored Contributor

@tobes wrote:

Sorry Pearly  // I sometimes think that Talbots and others like Jill and Old Navy over price the items so they can then turn around offer them at a "sale" price which is probably closer to the price they are worth and not a bargain.  Often the original price goes on sale pretty quick.  They can also play around with keeping the price and offering free shipping which is worse and no bargain.

@tobes, your point about retailers setting the original price high knowing that they will quickly go on sale is probably accurate. And some may also substitute free shipping for a discount, but I would not include Talbots in that group because they  offer free shipping only very occasionally.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Have no idea why mine and the previous post have such weird formatting.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Talbots marks up the prices prior to introducing each collection in anticipation of sales.   They know their customers like their sales.  I have noticed a signifant increase in their prices.  Their sales are famous and part of their marketing plan.  As far as the dirt cheap prices when it comes to end of season sales,  they are still making money.  That goes to show you how little their cost is to begin with.  My husband is an aexecutive in the fashion industry his entire career and this is standardard practice though Talbots takes it to a new level.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Talbots offers things to their steady customers ,I don't find anywhere else. I get  points  for everything I buy ,from them. Points for my birthday ,and anniversary  of  my first order with them. They can be redeemed for money off, of a purchase.

I guess you can make that claim, about any place doing business

I find the clothing fits, and holds up ,if you follow the cleaning instructions, and I think they offer attractive garments, in a wide range is sizes

Trusted Contributor

I am also a steady customer and have no complaints.  They have a great mix of classic and trend without being outrageous.  Good quality for the price too.  Currently I have 4 $25 award credits that I am saving for the spring/summer collection.  I also shop at Nordstrom’s , Lord & Taylor and Bloomingdales.

Honored Contributor

I just redeemed $50 in rewards ,and have another $25 coming. I will use it toward something a bit dressy for Mother's Day, or Easter.

I got 4 garments really cheap. I used my birthday sale with the redhanger and the 25% off.  I got 4 really nice pieces of clothing for $125 and saved a lot

I would have never done as well ,at Q