Honored Contributor

Re: $61.50 for Graver sweater??

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Well,OP, as you can see there are posters here who will convince themselves to pay almost anything if they like and want something they buy it and don't care what the price.Those of us who live within a budget don't have that freedom. I prefer value for my money and you no longer have that at QVC. 

I was in a jewelry store yesterday waiting for the jeweler to put a watch battery in and there was a lady there buying a chain for a medic alert pendant - she paid $650 for it and didn't blink an eye. Trust me - it was nothing special. I was shocked when the clerk told her the price, but she just wrote a check.

And yet you didn't balk at the overpriced Joan Rivers' big shirt you purchased and the plaid didn't even match up.

I'm not quite sure why you are always so concerned about what other people spend their money on.  A $20.00 sweater that I wear two or three times isn't as great of a bargain as a $60.00 sweater I wear for years. 

If that woman in the jewelry store has to wear that medic alert bracelet daily, why wouldn't she buy a nice chain?  Why would she want some cheap, janky chain when she's going to be wearing it all the time? 

I seem to recall recent posts from you about purging your closets and tossing things.  It seems you tossed an awful lot of handbags. That was kind of a waste. I mean you obviously didn't really need all of them.  You can only carry one at a time so why not just own the one you are going to use?  

Honored Contributor

I would rather have one really nice handbag than 10 junky ones that go in the garbage.  Now that's a waste...

Valued Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

Try shopping sales on line at Belks, Macy's, Dillards, or Nordstroms. Better prices and better quality.

I agree @colliegirls. This past fall and winter I started really watching Macy's (only because they are nearby should I need to return something or try it on).   I have been cleaning up with their sales. I should also note in fairness, I have done quite well with Clearance on HSN and the Q.

Respected Contributor

Some price points I find offensive too, for example Lisa Rinna has a new tank top and it's selling for $36. It's plain and made of rayon.  Now for some reason that just rubs me the wrong way but plenty of people have already purchased it so I guess they were okay with it.  I know that tank tops made by top designers in brick and mortar sell for over $100 but this is Qvc and I don't place Lisa Rinna in that same category anyway.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

It has nothing to do with afford or not afford this sweater -- it is a matter of getting a dollars worth of value from the dollars I spend and being able to restrain myself when the money would not be well spent. 

I also think there are posters who live a fantasy life on this board and in real life would not pay that but in their fantasy life they buy everything they want.

People have different priorities. I am sure that there are people who enjoy the convenience of shopping from home and during bad winter weather, the extra few dollars is worth it to them.

In addition a few years ago someone posted the income level of the average QVC shopper. It was above average, so I believe the posters who say that they can afford the price tag of the clothing sold at QVC.

Life is short......just as you drive a luxury car and have two homes, someone else may live in a condo and have a lot of extra money for clothing. I never judge how people spend their money. As long as it makes them happy, that's what counts.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Well,OP, as you can see there are posters here who will convince themselves to pay almost anything if they like and want something they buy it and don't care what the price.Those of us who live within a budget don't have that freedom. I prefer value for my money and you no longer have that at QVC. 

I was in a jewelry store yesterday waiting for the jeweler to put a watch battery in and there was a lady there buying a chain for a medic alert pendant - she paid $650 for it and didn't blink an eye. Trust me - it was nothing special. I was shocked when the clerk told her the price, but she just wrote a check.

I just saw your post in community chat that your dh bought you a dozen long stem roses. Did you yell at him for spending your precious budget money?  The stories you tell just don't add up. I don't believe for one moment that your dh bought you a dozen roses without you jumping up and down to bite his head off.  Talk about living in a fantasy world, you clearly wrote the book on that. 

Valued Contributor

@truffle wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I just saw your post in community chat that your dh bought you a dozen long stem roses. Did you yell at him for spending your precious budget money?  The stories you tell just don't add up. I don't believe for one moment that your dh bought you a dozen roses without you jumping up and down to bite his head off.  Talk about living in a fantasy world, you clearly wrote the book on that. 

SPOT ON!!! GREAT POST!!!

Valued Contributor

@brii wrote:

@151949 wrote:

It has nothing to do with afford or not afford this sweater -- it is a matter of getting a dollars worth of value from the dollars I spend and being able to restrain myself when the money would not be well spent. 

You make it seem like you're the only one in the world that does this.  LOL

People can and do spend their money how they want.  Everybody has different budgets and different tastes. 

I don't know why this concept is so difficult for you to understand.  You're not better than anybody else because you "restrain yourself".

100% AGREE!

Trusted Contributor

Someone mentioned viscose, which is rayon. Should make the price Lower, not Higher.

4 February 2016 - Viscose prices have continued bottoming out in China after a small number of leading producers had previously agreed to lower their production. Our weekly report covers the viscose/rayon staple fiber and filament markets over the last 12 months.

I used to buy a lot of SG clothing way back to when it was SG Sport. No more. All the tops are over $50. Plus tax and shipping, make it closer to $60. Plus $7 to ship it back if I want to try it on.  I'm done. Same with shoes. Guess they won't miss my sales. As long as people continue to pay the price, they will keep charging those prices.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geegerbee wrote:

Someone mentioned viscose, which is rayon. Should make the price Lower, not Higher.

4 February 2016 - Viscose prices have continued bottoming out in China after a small number of leading producers had previously agreed to lower their production. Our weekly report covers the viscose/rayon staple fiber and filament markets over the last 12 months.

I used to buy a lot of SG clothing way back to when it was SG Sport. No more. All the tops are over $50. Plus tax and shipping, make it closer to $60. Plus $7 to ship it back if I want to try it on.  I'm done. Same with shoes. Guess they won't miss my sales. As long as people continue to pay the price, they will keep charging those prices.

Modal is also rayon yet all the designers that use it charge more for their garments if it contains it.  

Modal is a type of rayon, a semi-synthetic cellulose fiber made by spinning reconstituted cellulose, in this case often from beech trees.Modal is used alone or with other fibers (often cotton or spandex) in household items such as pajamas, towels, bathrobes, underwear and bedsheets.

And then there's tencel and lyocell that also commands more money. 

http://www.yesitsorganic.com/rayon-modal-tencel-environmental-friends-or-foes.html#axzz3zuHgijX3