Respected Contributor

Re: $61.50 for Graver sweater??

When you have long time respected hosts like Mary Beth Roe say on air that Qvc's prices are too low and that people won't shop because they'll think it's junk, it's no small wonder why prices have jumped higher.  

I never thought low prices at Qvc meant junk but that their ability to buy and sell in large quantities brought prices down (and that they liked their customers and were willing to do it).  

A brick and mortar store is not going to be selling 500 units of a leather jacket and you'll notice that the price for that item at Qvc (the new Gili white leather jacket that sold out in 1 hour) was over $300 but people bought it anyway.  I'm sure there's a lot of professional people, lawyers and high tech who are Qvc customers that can well afford as many of these items as they'd like.  

For people who are no longer in the workforce and don't need to dress up 5 days a week, wants and needs are not the same.  We're getting back a very healthy tax refund plus my husband has a 5 digit bonus check coming but I have no desire to purchase a $300 leather jacket.  Just not a priority.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The content is: 

• Content: 60% cotton/20% nylon/20% viscose

Viscose makes any garment more pricey.  Cotton has gotten pricier also but the viscose to me explains the price.  It probably feels wonderful.  I don't think the price is unreasonable for what it is.  Viscose makes a garment even more expensive than modal.  I love the feel of both.  Sometime you need to look beyond the price - I always check fabric content.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

The content is: 

• Content: 60% cotton/20% nylon/20% viscose

Viscose makes any garment more pricey.  Cotton has gotten pricier also but the viscose to me explains the price.  It probably feels wonderful.  I don't think the price is unreasonable for what it is.  Viscose makes a garment even more expensive than modal.  I love the feel of both.  Sometime you need to look beyond the price - I always check fabric content.

I agree.  Also, that top is fitted and not plain in design.  The only thing I don't like about it was the wide band on the bottom but not necessarily a deal breaker for me. If I was still working I'd probably buy it.  Also want to add, the nylon content maintains its shape.  

Honored Contributor

@truffle  Due to the fabric content, if properly cared for it should last for years and years.  It could actually be a good  value, given its quality.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@truffle  Due to the fabric content, if properly cared for it should last for years and years.  It could actually be a good  value, given its quality.

Very true. 

Frequent Contributor

The prices are getting higher and higher.  I find myself visiting my favorite discount dept. stores more frequently.  I used to purchase a good portion of my wardrobe here, but lately, I can find better prices in some stores.  I absolutely love Nordstrom Rack.  I still buy clothes here, but I am very selective.  

Honored Contributor

Well,OP, as you can see there are posters here who will convince themselves to pay almost anything if they like and want something they buy it and don't care what the price.Those of us who live within a budget don't have that freedom. I prefer value for my money and you no longer have that at QVC. 

I was in a jewelry store yesterday waiting for the jeweler to put a watch battery in and there was a lady there buying a chain for a medic alert pendant - she paid $650 for it and didn't blink an eye. Trust me - it was nothing special. I was shocked when the clerk told her the price, but she just wrote a check.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Well,OP, as you can see there are posters here who will convince themselves to pay almost anything if they like and want something they buy it and don't care what the price.Those of us who live within a budget don't have that freedom. I prefer value for my money and you no longer have that at QVC. 

I was in a jewelry store yesterday waiting for the jeweler to put a watch battery in and there was a lady there buying a chain for a medic alert pendant - she paid $650 for it and didn't blink an eye. Trust me - it was nothing special. I was shocked when the clerk told her the price, but she just wrote a check.

@151949  I don't see anyone on this thread convincing themselves of anything.  People are pointing out different points of view.  The OP didn't mention anything about fabric content in her post, which does figure into the pricing structure.

I'm sorry some folks can't find it in their budget to afford a $61 sweater.  However, one needn't condemn or be bitter toward those who can.

Honored Contributor

@febe1Actually, Susan costs less than the poly line I see at Norsdstrom and Macys and probably elsewhere -  and I've owned that line.  It's awful -  it loses color after a few washings and stretches out of shape, too. Nothing Graver has ever done that to me.

So, no, I don't think Susan is not too expensive and I assume the proof is in the sales just the way it's also the sales of any other line that tells us what the value is to the buyer.  

Some really popular lines have no value to me at all, and that's true here at the Q and in the stores where I buy the bulk of my wardrobe. Cost per wearing means Graver is very inexpensive.

Regular Contributor

Susan Graver prices are ridiculous and the quality of her items cannot compare to LOGO! Logo is expensive but I find the items last if washed carefully.