Honored Contributor

Re: $61.50 for Graver sweater??

I won't buy junky 3rd world fashions.  So called fast fashion.  Thery're everywhere.  $7.00 a T shirt, $20.00 a sweater.  Goes on and on.  They estimate over 60% of women have closets jammed with them.

Honored Contributor

@truffle Thank you for at least citing a source for what you say about modal, unlike @geegerbee who made a statement about viscose but did not cite a source.

Prices in China up or down, everything I've ever bought with a viscose or modal content has been higher in price than other cotton blends.  (The sweater that's the subject of this thread is a cotton blend).  I have not seen prices fall on viscose garments.

Trusted Contributor

If people did not buy and pay, they would not be able to charge these prices.  This is what the market is able to bear.

Esteemed Contributor

It appears some think those who notice price comparisons, are those who cannot afford the prices. That would be a huge mistake. I believe there are many intelligent, savvy shoppers on this forum, and I am one, who can afford most anything the Q has to offer, but are unwilling to shop in a dumbed-down manner. 

I don't believe in throwing my dollars out the window. I have a magical machine at my finger tips where I can research and compare anything I want to. 

Of course, clothing prices go up, as everything else does. When, however, a company sells magnitudes of items at a value to customers, and just not themselves, everybody should take notice. The question and value of the "buy", might be how much is convenience and what are you willing to pay for that convenience. 

Those to whom q v c does not matter if they like something, the sky's the limit....

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

It appears some think those who notice price comparisons, are those who cannot afford the prices.

With regard to my own post, I highlighed the portion in blue of someone else's post that absolutely led me to the comment I made about not being able to afford something.   Just for the record.   

Respected Contributor

Whatever,  in my world $61 is not a lot  of money for a sweater or any other item of clothing.  Okay, $61 panties would be outrageous....lol

Trusted Contributor

why do people have to argue over what they think something is worth?

Many of us remember times when goods were mostly American made, quality items, silks, linens, high quality cottons, and we bought what we could afford for our needs.

When home shopping came along, they discovered that they had a new market to sell to, one that watches from home or computer and buys a lot on impulse. they sold items in thousands rather than a few dozen in a B&M store. They cheapened fabrics, made them in china, Thailand, Vietnam, Haiti, places where the working wage is what Americans spend in a day at Starbucks.

with that in mind, seeing what they offer today in thin fabrics, high prices, does make a lot of people remember the days "when you got your moneys worth".

I bought a Dyson thinking it was going to be the be all and end all based on their price, advertisements about quality and 5 year guarantee. Guess what? It's a cheap plastic piece of junk, does not do a good job picking up cat hair, found out by sending it back to CS under the guarantee all they do it take it out of the box, run it over a carpet and if it goes, they send it back. Luckily, QVc has agreed to take it back and isse a merchandise credit. 

Moral of story, many of us CAN afford the same things other shoppers are buying, we just don't want to continue to spend money on cheap things especially after having gotten them home and realized they are highly overpriced for what they are. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.