Esteemed Contributor

Re: 51st High School Reunion coming up---ugh!

Treat yourself as a Queen for the day. Dress in colors  that you love . If you can treat yourself to hair , makeup,  and a massage.  Dance into that HS reunion !

Let all thoughts of old clicks  fade away . Be the woman you are now.

I'm not far behind you , my HS 50th will be in just a few years . My Hubby will be clebrating his 52nd  HS reunion  this yr .

Celebrate !

Honored Contributor

@pietook wrote:

We didn't get to have a 50th---thanks Covid!--so 51st is in Sept.  I am never excited about going to those, I wasn't the "popular" kid in school and my class was --- and still is---so "clicky".  Wish Q had a personal stylist!  I quit smoking and gained 30 lbs.  In school was prob 120, now 160--- seems all in tummy area.  Is there any poster on here who is a stylist---or offers great advice?  

I know there is a beauty person who takes questions sometimes?  I would love to ask her a question also!  Anyone know her name please to watch for her posts?

Thanks ladies!

@pietook   I'm a makeup artist if you have makeup questions. @ECBG works in retail and can help with clothing if you'd like suggestions. 

Respected Contributor

@pietook No, you're not the only one who dreads reunions, or related activities. I've never been to a reunion and never planned on going. I had a few close friends in HS, but none of them are local anymore. Why bother.

I don't have many fond memories of HS, anyway. College was a much better experience. Loved it.

That said, if I did want to go to a reunion, I would try to look my best, but with the understanding that none of the attendees would look like the past. I'd feel assured that even the most, cocky, self confident of the bunch would now be dealing with some aging, life changes, as well.

If you want to go, walk in proud, head high, like you own the place and you'll look like it, too Woman Wink.  If you feel uncomfortable attending, just don't go. 

Honored Contributor

My 50th is next year and won't be going---went to my 10th and that was it--no one there that I really want to see anyway--- and I agree-- if you are freaked out about it---don't go!!! I am sure more than half of your classmates are in the same shape or alot worse than you are!!!  Bravo for stopping smoking tho!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl :  There is a big difference between 10th and 50th reunion. Washington Post did an article about difference between my class' 10th and 20th and in writer's opinion even those two were very different.  By 10th people are just getting started, maybe married and are very braggy but by 50th many things and situations have changed. Many classmates don't even show up until 20th or 50th ( its a life marker).

Contributor

I'm guessing that you're more apprehensive about attending rather than actually dreading it.  It can be difficult goiing if you haven't kept in touch with anyone & aren't sure the people you were friends with are attending.

I didn't attend until my 25th, was apprehensive & wound up having a great time.

The last one we had was our 5oth  (2015) &,  altho,  I really only kept in touch with 2 people that I'd connected with at my 25th,, had an equally great time.

Go, smile,I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Esteemed Contributor

There's a big difference between wanting to see some people versus "dreading it". There's also a big difference in how we view things when we're almost 70 versus when we we 18! People change over the years - maybe not everyone, but certainly a good number of your classmates aren't the same people they were when you graduated!

If you don't have to travel far, go to your reunion with an open mind....look for the friends you had back then, but also please don't assume that all who were in the clique are still that way - you might be surprised!  And believe me - there will be others who don't weigh the same now as they did 50 years ago! I bet you find many of the guys who are now almost bald and don't have that slim physique they did back then.... same for the women!

I'd wear something simple yet classy. A nice pair of black pants, a shell with a pretty jacket or just a pretty tunic and some dressy sandals. I bet some of your classmates will dress down, and some will dress up. Above all, go with a smile on your face and an open mind!

Respected Contributor

I attended my 20th reunion and i have no desire to to attend any other reunions.  i had a wonderful time at my 20th, it wias a blast, a magical 2 nights..i could not ask for more . i went solo - i was divorced. at the venue parking lot, some kids from school had a couple 6's in their car and we chilled for a bit.  we had a dinner cruise. it was amazing!      i reconnected with old friends (i was not one of the "popular" kids) and got to visit them; a couple in San  Francico and an old boyfriend in Lake Tahoe. (we were all from Eastern LI)

for my 10th i was so apprehensive, i did not go.  i'm happy i went to the 20th.  the clicques were left in the past.  i really can't see how anything can stand in your way unless YOU want it to.

my DH has a reunion coming up in Sept, he went to his 50th five yrs ago - he was BMOC so loves to see old friends. 

Respected Contributor

Hold your head high,smile,have confidence,otherwise say to heck with all of you clickey ppl,I have better things to do!