Respected Contributor

I don't understand why, years ago you would of been blasted for

wearing a full white wedding dress when you are married for the 2nd time.

Is it now socially acceptable to "clean the slate", forget you were married and now divorced and then do the whole church ceremony?

or does anything go

Honored Contributor

IMO anything goes in todays world.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Oh, good grief.  That white wedding gown thing died out years and years ago.  Probably because it was sexist and it never made any sense.  A wedding dress is just a dress and any bride who wants to wear the whole nine yards can.  It was always a joke anyway.  We all remember those pregnant brides who walked down the aisle in white lace and and a long veil.

Honored Contributor

DD was a bridesmaid for the same college friend twice. She had a small wedding to her high school boyfriend when the girls were finishing their second year of college. After graduating and starting a new job she met someone else. She divorced, and soon after had another, this time larger, wedding complete with long frilly white gown!

So yeah - I guess for millenials anything goes! Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

Yes, anything goes.  

I guess all the old etiquette is gone with the wind.

Honored Contributor

Etiquette and traditions change over the years. The whole white dress " rules "are sexist and outdated. How many virgins walk done the aisle nowadays ? And who in the name of common sense business is it of anyone what a bride chooses to wear ??

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

That was the first thing that popped in my mind when I first saw the dress, not even off white much less blush.  Why do some folks have a hard time understanding you cannot unring a bell?  Can you imagine if Camilla had worn white?

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

In the 1950s, many women were married in a suit, rather than a traditional wedding dress, which is more like a costume.  The suit was usually a pastel color, even for a first marriage.

There are no rules, only customs.

Respected Contributor

Yes software-my parents married in 1950 and a soft grey colored suit with a small veiled hat and gloves is exactly what she wore to her church wedding.  It was lovely.  WW  II was not in the two distant past and I wonder if that may have been partly why?  Also, as far as marrying in a white gown and veil; pretty sure that is usually not a valid glimpse into a couples’ private life. 

Respected Contributor

It seems anymore anything goes. I hate it. Everyone does as they please.