Respected Contributor

Re: $279 for a Tote Bag ?

[ Edited ]

I like this Brahmin bag:

Honored Contributor

Obviously, women are paying the high prices but none that participate on this forum.  Frye is crazy with their prices.  It's not gold!  They should get together with over priced Logo.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I agree.  Prices for clothing, shoes, and handbags have skyrocketed over the years.  

Can't believe prices now of designers that I purchased in the 90's.  

Leather products always have cost more than cloth.  If you're talking about Dooney, they always were expensive relative to the time.  I remember my sister paying $149 for a Dooney that was only 8 x 6 inches in the mid 90's.  It's leather quality, craftsmanship, and how long it will last that goes into a handbag that makes it expensive.

There's no doubt popularity also increases the price. Some buyers will pay higher prices for a name.  Dooney is one of them; although it is a very good handbag that lasts many years.  

Esteemed Contributor

@manny2 wrote:
You have a right to post whatever you want to post. This is a forum for people to post their opinions. To bad the other posters don't understand that concept, and go on the attack.  The responses you got are very telling about them, and it is not good! 

I've noticed you essentially posted this same sentiment on several threads.

Were you under the impression this, and other OPs are unclear as to their "rights" to post on these boards?

You are then mistaking the ensuing flow of conversation for "attack".

Perhaps it is you who has "failed to understand the concept" at work here .

Trusted Contributor

Re: $279 for a Tote Bag ?

[ Edited ]

@x Hedge After reading through this thread, I agree with @manny2 that most responses to OP's opinion were not kind. The OP was belittled/attacked.  Perhaps comments not in agreement with her could have been phrased in a more pleasant tone?  Or maybe don't comment at all.  Several posters did comment nicely.

Trusted Contributor

On a separate note...Carolyn was amazing with Susan last night.  Calm, no high pitched screeching.  No frantic nonsense. Susan was allowed to present the handbags.  Carolyn added information as needed. No talking over each other.  "Enjoyable". 

Honored Contributor

It's the old time bank robber Willie Sutton's rule "Go where the money is."  

Respected Contributor

@klb2 wrote:

The Dooney bags have bothered me for some time. Yes, we live in a capitalistic society & people have a right to spend as much $ as they want on whatever they want. And yes, they're high quality. But those purses are outrageous...and QVC is always selling tons of them. Plus, add that to how many get sold in retail stores. You can get a really beautiful, quality leather purse/tote for $50-$100. Imagine if everyone of means bought a $100 bag instead of a Dooney and took the other $179+ and did something charitable with it? Wow...a lot of good could happen for some needy folks!

No, they're really not "outrageous". $279 for a high quality leather bag is quite reasonable. I personally don't care for the line because I think they're heavy and the market is oversaturated with them. However; I'll thank you to not preach at me, and others, as to what we should do with our money. It's simply not your business. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I've paid $250.00 for Italian made leather boots.  And I thought that was a great deal (it was on sale)  I purchased them years ago, and I still wear them every winter. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

Have paid more than this for a tote. This is not unreasonable especially if it's leather!

Top grade leather is expensive!  Not an unreasonable amount for a tote.