Honored Contributor

2022 Fall’s Biggest Fashion Trends

Courtesy of Refinery29

I like to read about and look at fashion/design trends, but am very selective of implementing them or new purchases. 

The change of seasons is a prompt for me to refine my wardrobe - donate or toss; replace essentials. And make a few new purchases.

Not everything is for everyone 😎 Which of these trends do you like and how do you style it from your own closet?

🍂🍁🍃🍂🍁🍃🍂🍁🍃🍂🍁🍃🍂🍁🍃🍂🍁🍃🍂🍁🍃🍂🍁🍃

We’ll always savor long summer days, but, as autumn grows near, we welcome the mood shift — and cooler days — with open arms. The biggest Fall 2022 trends have much to offer as we move from swimwear and sundresses in favor of chunky loafers and cozy layers. 

From preppy wares to workwear inspirations, there is something to satisfy all tastes. A subversive attitude transpired in many designer collections from New York to Paris offering a refreshingly rebellious take on closet staples.

Think: deconstructed knits, re-worked tailoring, and lots of leather in the form of S&M and biker-style silhouettes. Similarly, a futuristic wave rippled through fashion month’s four cities with gritty, punk undertones influencing denim, dresses, cargos and more. Plus, the official induction of the cstsuit as a fearless approach to all-in-one dressing and trippy trompe l'oeil prints.

A flapper-era opulence emerged on the more glamorous end of the spectrum; rhinestones, sequins, and crystal-decked designs proved both extravagant yet effortless in tandem with everyday blazers and boots and the ultimate in glamour when worn in their scintillating glory. Outerwear underwent the extra treatment, too, from floor-grazing dusters to ultra-oversized puffers and supersized faux fur destined for statement-making days. 

As for fall’s boot du jour, get ready for the over-the-knee revival to pair with the season’s micro-mini's ranging from classic block-heels to second-skin silhouettes doused in color and rugged moto styles. And while skin-baring Y2K style dresses and skirts remain a fixture, prepare for maxi hemlines, spanning full-volume designs to slinky ’90s style shapes, to lure you in this season. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

Re: 2022 Fall’s Biggest Fashion Trends

This is a trend that I definitely will use - no new purchases are needed - I have a curated closet of leather and faux leather fashions: jackets, skirts, pants, leggings & tops

Lots of Leather 

Leather undergoes a daring refresh this fall, as S&M and biker-style pieces emerged (see: bucked and overly strappy shapes like at Khaite, Versace, and Roberto Cavalli), as well as sleek and tailored head-to-toe looks in elegant neutrals and vibrant colors (Tod’s, Maryam Nassir Zadeh, and Sergio Hudson), offering slick options for even the most edge-aversed

CD8596DC-A761-4548-9AFF-CDD66E428269.jpeg

54B6E0AD-1245-493A-A763-C5096C7A11A3.jpeg

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Catsuits? Micro minis? No, thanks. Some of the other trends sound promising, but I need to see Many more photos.

Honored Contributor

Happy to see over the knee boots trending. No new purchase needed. I have a couple that are still in good shape, comfortable and ready to go 😎 one is from QVC GILI (thanks Jill Martin); the other is from Steve Madden 

Over-The-Knee Boots

Your favorite aughts-era boots are back, from thigh-skimming styles with a motocross edge to second-skin fits in bright colors and buttery-soft leather versions with timeless stiletto and block heels. Khaite, Victoria Beckham, and Isabel Marant debuted standout versions

16B33F36-ADBC-427B-8B83-6E0528C6EFBC.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@Chi-town girl  I love over the knee boots, but I've never owned any! My feet are super narrow, so I'm incredibly hard to fit. I love the look, however! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Chi-town girl I love the over the knee look but I just can't pull it off! I have athletic (lol) calves so it's a struggle for me. I will try again to see what is our there this year!  And you my friend you rock that look! Keep us posted on upcoming looks! I love to see what is coming and how I can make it my own. Sometimes I could be on the cover of vogue and other days.... well I tried!

Honored Contributor

Thank you Louis Dell'Olio for some fabulous jackets, sweaters, skirts -leather and faux leather too - and the sequin pieces that were designed at the end of your QVC run. 💎💎💎💎💎💠💠💠 💠💠

I have several Linea sequin pieces in black and the sultry midnight blue colors. No new purchases are needed, but I will keep my eyes open for something in a silver sequin or other 'opulent' material 

These dresses are STUNNING 🤩 

Flapper-Era Opulence

From New York to Paris, shimmer, sequins, and rhinestones stood out from event-worthy attire (Philosophy di Lorenzo Serafini, Sacai, and Miu Miu) to dialed-up daily wares like suits and denim (Cinq à Sept, Dries Van Noten, and PatBo).

8A9BFEC9-691E-4651-AB20-889D5184BA57.jpeg

E8B9A048-EB19-492B-98FE-03785693AE65.jpeg

9A9E8B9B-B99F-4AC1-908D-ED8D0BDAAB99.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Catsuits? Micro minis? No, thanks. Some of the other trends sound promising, but I need to see Many more photos.

@Goldengate8361  - if I had the body of these models, I would gladly strut the catsuit 😂. I create a similar look with a monochromatic 2p outfit - turtleneck l/s or s/s with leggings or cigarette style pants. Worn under classic blazers

As for micro minis... I take a pass, but I do have some above the knee skirts in faux leather and knit (Linea & St John) worn with opaque tights. Booties, knee high or over knee boots to finish the outfit...mic drop 😉

Catsuits

After a gradual accession over the past few seasons, catsuits ranging from knitted to sheer and leather iterations (Dior, Hermès, Stella McCartney showed some of the best) are the ultimate conversation piece as fall’s fresh take on all-in-one dressing

BB671AC3-60C2-43A7-9BDB-064D88DE43B1.jpeg

This black catsuit is new from Norma Kamali 

953CAF25-7826-43B4-837D-83DEBD98D109.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@Chi-town girl  I hear you... I actually do both of those things you mentioned.

Honored Contributor

I dislike fall and always have. I find fall depressing since I was old enough to recognize the change.

I prefer the seasons where jewel tones rule!